Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF Memory <-> EVGA 680i Motherboard

Typhoon859

My computer randomly completely freezes, most times when watching a video. To make sure it wasn't just the graphics card, I hit keyboard shortcuts that would normally make the motherboard make a sound after the freeze but it didn't work. And yes, I ran many stress tests on every tiny piece of hardware on my computer and everything went fine. I tried different combinations of like stressing the hard drive and CPU at the same time as an example, and I even tried practically everything at once, along with MEMTest86. Everything returned positive but clearly that's not the case.

Along with everything just freezing up, I'd occasionally also get the Blue Screen titled as "MEMORY_uhhh.. something XD".

To the point, are there any known compatibility issues with theTWIN2X4096-8500C5DF and the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard?

My EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard (the EVGA 680i Motherboard for short) 100% supports the TWIN2X2048-8500C5D but I'm not sure about the version I have which is the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF. I seem to be having problems with it so my question is, is there really that much difference between the two that makes it possible to go from 100% success to frequent failure?

What speed / timings / voltage are you running the memory at?

Test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+.

I've tried every speed, timing, and voltages possible. I've tried the recommended settings, I've tried loosening the timings... The problem still occurs. As a matter of fact, the closer I set the settings to the recommended, the more often the problem occurs. The recommended settings are way faster than what is set by default which is only at 800MHz and slower timings than the JEDEC standard. EVEN THEN freezes occur. And, yes, I've done MEMTest86

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Like I said, I ran memtest on both sticks and I did all those other procedures as well. On the recommended tested settings for the RAM, the problem occurs more frequently. On the default settings at 800MHz with timings even looser than the JEDEC standard, the problem is less frequent though that's when I found out about the problem. On the default settings, each stick worked fine but at 1066MHz with 5-5-5-15-2t timings and at 2.1V, when tested separately, I got the blue screen before windows even booted up to show the login screen. It's not the motherboard's problem either because I've tested it with other RAM (though worse RAM , I have to admit).

Did you get any errors in memtest? If so on what test? Did you test these modules in another system and if so what were the results?

Everything I mentioned, my system passed including memtest. I haven't tried these in another machine - I don't have that possibility. However, I tried other memory in MY machine and it turned out just fine, as I've stated.

• Corsair Employees
If you are not getting any errors in memtest but it is not stable in Windows I would look for some other cause, have you tried the modules one at a time to see if this can be duplicated with one of the modules? And what version of O.S. are you using and how many modules are installed?

If you are not getting any errors in memtest but it is not stable in Windows I would look for some other cause, have you tried the modules one at a time to see if this can be duplicated with one of the modules? And what version of O.S. are you using and how many modules are installed?

"On the recommended tested settings for the RAM, the problem occurs more frequently. On the default settings at 800MHz with timings even looser than the JEDEC standard, the problem is less frequent though that's when I found out about the problem. On the default settings, each stick worked fine but at 1066MHz with 5-5-5-15-2t timings and at 2.1V, when tested separately, I got the blue screen before windows even booted up to show the login screen."

I have 2 modules.. I'm running it on Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Memtest just checks if there's anything wrong with the bits but there are many other things involved.

we could start with FSB & Memory Config section, including submenu FSB and Memory Clock Mode

Well, I know 100% the problem has something to do with memory. That's the conclusion everybody came to. So the only settings that could really affect the problem in the BIOS are the settings for the memory. So, should I just list that? I mean, I've tried the recommended settings for the RAM and that just made the problem more frequent... So I dunno about that. Is that still what you need? XD

• Corsair Employees
Well, I know 100% the problem has something to do with memory. That's the conclusion everybody came to. So the only settings that could really affect the problem in the BIOS are the settings for the memory. So, should I just list that? I mean, I've tried the recommended settings for the RAM and that just made the problem more frequent... So I dunno about that. Is that still what you need? XD

That is not true there are about 2 dozen settings in the BIOS that are not memory settings that may have an impact on system stability if not set properly. If you are passing memtest but it is not stable in Windows there would have to be some other problem, but if you just want to get them replaced then by all means, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

That is not true there are about 2 dozen settings in the BIOS that are not memory settings that may have an impact on system stability if not set properly. If you are passing memtest but it is not stable in Windows there would have to be some other problem, but if you just want to get them replaced then by all means, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

No no. I mean. That's a last resort. I don't want to waste your money. Just tell me exactly the settings that you want me to give you and I'll tel you them. I never really changed anything though besides increasing the voltage for the RAM. I've changed the settings before when I was experimenting but the default settings seem to work best though still with the issue.

Can you describe what you mean in more detail please, its not clear to me what you mean?

You mean describe the problem in more detail or my last statement? I meant that all the settings are already like you said. Maybe I should try changing the timings in the advanced options? Would you happen to know what those should be?

Archived