Corsair Community

another k8vt800 pro memory question

richardc

Before discovering this super forum, I had a 512 MB TwinX matched pair Corsair CMX256A-3200C2 installed in my Gigabyte k8vt800 pro MoBo. Everything seems great but now I am thinking about increasing the total RAM to 1 Gig. I thought I had read that it couldn't be done but I can't find the link anymore, so I thought I would ask for some of your excellent advice regarding an inexpensive way to get 1000 or even 786 mb. I didn't see my board listed on the home page. TIA

Thanks for the fast reply - I couldn't find anything with Sandra or Aida but on the stick itself it was marked 1.2. They are only 2 weeks old. That said, I tried moving the sticks to slots 1 and 3 and there doesn't appear to be very much room between because of the heat spreaders.

• Corsair Employees
You can try to add a CMX512-3200C2, but I would make sure they are the same revision as what you have now. Or I would suggest Twinx1024-3200C2 instead and find another use for these if you can.

thanks very much - I shall see what the shop says - cheers and thanks for you help. [quote name='RAM GUY']You can try to add a CMX512-3200C2, but I would make sure they are the same revision as what you have now. Or I would suggest Twinx1024-3200C2 instead and find another use for these if you can.[/QUOTE]

Hi - the unhappy follow up for the moment is that Corsair memory is a special order and the shop didn't have any CMX512-3200C2 lying around just to test in my system. :(: Maybe one day if I am rich, I will follow up on your Twinx1024-3200C2 suggestion. BTW- here is the link that made me wonder whether I could add another 512 of RAM [url]http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=+16768+&distributor=0&submit1=Search[/url] thanks again for your help

• Corsair Employees
Well I don’t see what that has to do with your question. And the answer I gave you would be for best performance, however no matter whose modules you have or use you would run into the same issue. We all use the same IC's for the most part!

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly or perhaps I misunderstood your suggestions. You said I could [b]try [/b]to add another module, which to me meant that you weren't sure it could be done. To [b]try[/b] adding another Corsair module, for me, means buying another one ($200+)with no guarantee that it will fit. If I knew it would fit I would buy one right away. The other suggestion - Twinx1024-3200C2 means about $480, which I don't have right now, and a stick of RAM which I can't use. The name Kingston was just the link that made me think that another CMX512-3200C2 would not fit. I had no intention of mixing manufacturers. That said - do you mean that if I can get any 512 stick to fit then a CMX512-3200C2 will work? Sorry to be so slow. :o: cheers [quote name='RAM GUY']Well I don’t see what that has to do with your question. And the answer I gave you would be for best performance, however no matter whose modules you have or use you would run into the same issue. We all use the same IC's for the most part![/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employees
No and No! Let me put it this way! What is the exact module part# that you have now? Should be something like: CORSAIR CMX512-3200C2 XMS3200 Rev. 3.1 0404089 You can add another module to your system and more than likely you will have no problems, however, you would be mixing modules that are not a matched pair, and in a dual channel MB for best performance a matched set would be suggested; hence the reason we came out with Twinx sets. At the worst case, you may have to run the memory at a slower setting than what each module is rated at, to get them to work together.

According to the little sticker it is: Corsair CMX256A 3200C2 XMS3202V1.2 0407117 CL2 I want more - I just don't know if or how I can add more and still keep what I have. there is just one slot of the 3 left. [quote name='RAM GUY']No and No! Let me put it this way! What is the exact module part# that you have now? Should be something like: CORSAIR CMX512-3200C2 XMS3200 Rev. 3.1 0404089 You can add another module to your system and more than likely you will have no problems, however, you would be mixing modules that are not a matched pair, and in a dual channel MB for best performance a matched set would be suggested; hence the reason we came out with Twinx sets. At the worst case, you may have to run the memory at a slower setting that what each module is rated at, to get them to work together.[/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employees
If you run more than 2 modules with this chipset/CPU you would need to run the memory at DDR333. I would suggest that you use no more than 2 modules or you go with 2 1.0 Gig modules like Twinx2048-3200 instead. That way you would be able to run at DDR400 for best performance!

Thanks very much - this time I think I have understood completely. cheers and thanks for a great forum. [quote name='RAM GUY']If you run more than 2 modules with this chipset/CPU you would need to run the memory at DDR333. I would suggest that you use no more than 2 modules or you go with 2 1.0 Gig modules like Twinx2048-3200 instead. That way you would be able to run at DDR400 for best performance![/QUOTE]

Archived