Corsair Community

XMS PC3000 and XMS PC3200?????

Chickenhawk

Basically I built a system sometime last autumn, I put in 2x 256 sticks of Corsair XMS PC3000, CAS 2 I believe. I then went to upgrade that particular system and went and purchased another 512mb stick of Corsair XMS memory, this time forgetting it was running PC3000 (not my system so I have an excuse, kind of) I purchased PC2700 thinking it was running PC2700, CAS 2 again. Whether or not the difference in speed was a factor I'm not sure, but basically the system took a major dislike to the new memory and decided to lock and crash and throw up minidumps......(possible the new module is faulty I suppose). Running the new memory on it's own seemed to work fine (not convinced since I've had faulty components in the past whereby the problems get less frequent the less memory I had in). That aside, heres the main question, my supplier has NO PC3000 in stock, is not likely to get any either, not really in demand is it PC3000. tends to be 3200 or higher I suppose. If I took the recently purchased PC2700 back and replaced it with a stick of 3200 would that run fine with the current 2x 256 PC3000 (I plan on sticking to Corsair XMS to avoid any problems, naturally I'll keep it all CAS 2). Appreciate any info you could give me on this.

[quote name='CMC_SAVAGE']What MOBO and CPU do you have?[/QUOTE] After messing late last night with that system, I swapped the ram from their system with some PC4000 I had as an interim measure, now I'm running the problematic memory, same motherboard as them, still same problems. System specs are as follows... CPU - Pentium 4 2.26, 533mhz Motherboard - Asus P4P800 Deluxe RAM - 2x256 XMS3000 (working) 1 x 512 XMS 2700 (not working, or at least not with the previously listed RAM). ATI 9800 Pro 256mb Highpoint PCI Rocket Raid controller 2x Western Digital 160GB Fluid bearing S-ATA drives (no longer on RAID array to avoid any possible complications). 2x Maxtor 250GB ATA 133's @ 7200 2x Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 @ 7200 Poineer A07 (if I remember correctly) 8x DVD-Writer. Everything is stock, no overclocking, quite simply to test this RAM, have dl'd Memorytest86 as mentioned in one of RAM Guy's posts, will give that a try in a short while once I've written off the ISO ver of it. Also noticed that XMS3000 may well be closer to PC2700 (was in the product specs for XMS3000 stating it was really JEDEC 2700 that runs a lot faster and therefore relabelled as XMS3000, I may well have the wrong end of the stick here though. Kind of in a hard place at this point, I'm off today only in the next 2 weeks, which makes it difficult to change the memory after today.

Ran memtest86, results are as follows.. 2x256 XMS3000 one cycle no errors. 1x512 XMS2700 one cycle no errors. Running the two together created at least two errors on each pass. Always on Test 6 [MODULO 20, ONES & ZERO'S, CACHED] TST - 6 PASS - 0 FAILING ADDRESS - 0000fa24240 - 250.2mb FAILING ADDRESS - 00003cc2c240 - 972.7mb Good - ffffffff Good - ffffffff Bad - fffbffff Bad - fffbffff ERR BITS - 00040000 ERR BITS - 00040000 Count Chan - 1 Count Chan - 1 For the next 4 cycles I got roughly the same errors, always on the same test TEST - 6 [MODULO 20, ONES &ZERO's, CACHED], on the fourth pass instead of two errors it threw up an additional 10...... Any idea's would be appreciated.

[quote name='RAM GUY']Please let me know how you make out![/QUOTE] Complete and utter failure unfortunately.......I think I'm out of fixes. Adjusted the timings as per suggestion, here are the timings I set just in case ASUS have it setup differently. You suggested CAS 2.5-3-3-7 Dimm Voltage 2.7 I set DRAM CAS# Latency 2.5 DRAM RAS# Precahrge 3 DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay 3 DRAM Precharge Delay 7 Burst Length 8 Dimm Voltage I set to 2.75 (2.7 is not an option) The amount of errors on the same test (test 6 memtest86, see above for more details) trebled. Tried Dimm voltage 2.65, no diff, tried quite anumber of other settings, no joy. At this point I think I'm going to have to take the memory back to the supplier and get it refunded, it's not faulty but is useless none the less. I'm considering upgrading my processor from the current 2.26Ghz 533 to a 2.8GHz "Prescott" (PG-800FSB) HT Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1MB Cache. If I go ahead with above purchase I'm going to start afresh with new memory, I'm looking at 1024mb, what would you suggest I look at getting? Is matched memory a good idea or should I get just 1 stick? (if you need to know my system specs scroll up to through the history of this topic, should have all details there).

Bingo......I left the new memory module on test overnight with the extended test option in memtest86.....I got around 2083 errors. Left my other modules on extended test today, no failures whatsoever, I can only assume my problems are down to the new memory being faulty, I'll have to try and convince the supplier it's faulty, if necessary I'll force them to run memtest86 whilst I am there. I'll test it again overnight tonight just in case.. If possible though I could do with the answer to the above question with regards which memory you recommend (see previous post). Thanks again for all your time on this.

All the memory I have at present is DDR 333. 2x256 XMS3000 333 1x512 XMS2700 333 It is definately running at 333, memtest86 also reports DDR 333. As for the new stuff I might purchase, I'd be running an Intel P4 3.2 800FSB 1Mb cache chip. I've tested my old memory for a total of 20 hours and that passes with no errors... The new modul has been on test for a total of 20 hours also and has thrown up well over 15000 errors.

Archived