Corsair Community

A7N8X-E Deluxe and TWINX1024-3200LL

Bogo

Ram Guy, I hope you can help me. [B]Problem:[/B] Intermittent no post on cold (off overnight) PC turn on and mem86 test failures in dual channel operation. No post means the fans and hard drive power up but there is no speaker initial beep and the video never initiates. Reseting never recovers it and it takes multiple full removal (AC off) of power tries before getting it to post. I've no problems booting into Windows when the machine posts nor have I seen any memory related failures in Windows or gaming. I have researched for weeks on the web (AMD forums, etc.) this cold start issue and my conclusion is that there is a fundamental low level problem (or quirkiness) with some NForce based boards. This has many theories which I won't get into to except that I have tried all that had some plausibility. I am now down to the possible memory factor. I do not have the luxury of trying the memory in other machines or to obtain new memory to try on an experimental basis. The PC does not exhibit the no post problem with a single stick of the RAM. Memtest86 shows no errors when system is tested with each stick seperately. In dual channel Memtest86 always has several errors in tests 4 and 5 within the first pass. I have tried different slots and timings: (tRAS, tRCD, tRP, CAS Latency) and increasing DDR voltage to 2.7V. 6,3,2,2 5,3,2,2 (MB auto optimum/agressive defaults) 7,3,2,2 (less mem86 errors) 11,3,2,2 (less mem86 errors) 7,3,2,2.5-3) (more errors) various other settings with no luck. I will mention that I have tried the Windows memory diagnostic program available from their site and that looks to run clean but my understanding is Memtest86 is a better program. Do you have any suggestions here or am I doing something wrong? I am making the assumption that although the memory is spec'd at a higher operating frequency it is suppose to work at less stringent requirements. The hole I am coming out of is that it is either memory or motherboard related or both. Exchanging memory if that makes sense is the lesser of the 2 hassles. Thank you - Bogo [B]Main system Specs:[/B] Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Bios 1006 AMD XP2800+ (OEM) 2.089Ghz (12.5x166) 1G RAM TWINX (2 x CMX512-3200LL v1.2 2326) Synchonous (100% 166Mhz) Dual Channel US Robotics 56K PCI Modem Zalman ZM400A (400W PS) Asus 9600XT Video Seagate 80GB Baracuda HD Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD/CD Player/Burner PlexWriter 12/10/32A CD-R Player/Burner Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 1 + all critical updates) Microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard

[quote name='RAM GUY']That would suggest a problem with the MB, CPU, or PSU. If possible, I would test the Modules in another system as that might help isolate the problem.[/QUOTE] Thanks. I am leaning that way also and from what I have seen it is much too easy to jump on a bad memory conclusion. The power supply I could probably test at work as I am involved in very high end system power development. I did do some more testing of the modules in single channel mode and can still get some oscassional errors about an hour or 2 into memtest86. I have a hard time believing I have 2 bad modules. I am not so much concerned with these fails but the cold boot problem is a real pain. Running single channel has not caused a boot problem now for several days (fingers crossed!). I flashed to the latest BIOS but that did not help. There are many posts on other boards regarding BIOS corruption and even a possible 9600XT connection. I have started trying different AGP memory settings and they appear to have some effect but it is too easy to be fooled with this type problem. I wish the MB had onboard video so I could run some tests without trying another video card. Another quirk which may or not be related is that when I first put the system together the BIOS set the CPU frequency to 100Mhz and I have had some instances of the voice post state that system failed due to overclocking. However it still continues to post and boot at the right frequency (166Mhz) and run OK. 3DMark2001 and Prime95 run with no errors even in dual channel. I have since diabled this voice after finding this seems a common problem with others. I'll play around a bit and if nothing seems to work I'll probably upgrade to a new CPU, then MB, then video and then memory as last resort. This just eats up too much time! Right now, because this may not be a memory issue, it may not really be appropriate for this forum. I will certainly post anything I find that is memory related or a final solution that may help others. Thanks again.

• Corsair Employees
If you send the MB back to your reseller I would ask for the non -e version A7N8X Deluxe! In addition if you updated to bios version 1.008 I would try and reset the bios by jumper then load setup defaults and set the timings manually and see if that helps

Archived