Corsair Community

Compatibilty- 3700 ram

jon dunford

Hi, im building a pc and i was wondering will CORSAIR TWINX1GB XMS3700 be compatible on a motherboard that only supports up too 3200 speed ram. Surely it will just clock at 3200? any way the mother board is a DFI LANPARTY NFORCE2 ULTRA MOTHERBOARD FOR AMD PROCESSORS. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Ram Guy My Corsair XMS pc3700 TwinX (2x512) runs just fine at 3,3,3,8,4 @ 200mhz fsb. Also it runs rock solid at 2.5,3,3,8,4 @ 178mhz fsb. It even runs fine at 250mhz 1:1 (ddr500) at 3,4,4,8,4 BUT... it will not run at 5:4 Ratio regardless of timings or voltage applied over 200mhz fsb. I just don't get it. I really don't understand why I can run it to 250mhz @ 1:1, but not at 5:4 @ 213mhz. This mind you is with the loosest timings. MAM & Turbo was also tried both on & off, actually I tried everything and every combination I could think of. From looser to tighter timings to voltage from 2.65v to 2.75v. My board will only go to 2.85v but didn't want to void my Ram warranty by going that high before asking you. Any thoughts on this? and BTW, it ran fine at 213mhz 5:4 (3,4,4,8,4 - MAM & Turbo disabled)) with the Samsung Ram I just replaced and I think that this pc3700 is also Samsung. I'm confused. :confused:

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest that you run the memory at 1-1 for best performance. Some MB's will be able to run at a divider setting and if not it's either a bios or chipset issue. The memory does not care what the CPU is doing and will as you stated run at 1-1 above the rated spec. That tells me it's not a module problem.

Yeah I agree that it's not likely the Ram, but I'm still lost as to why it's happening. Maybe you're right about it being something wonky with my Asus P4P800 with it's current Bios. The problem with running 1:1 right now is there is a known issue with 1:1 & P4P800's overclocked past 200mhz at that ratio. Many people see 3D graphic artifacts at 201, some at 233 & some not until they get over 250mhz fsb 1:1. Artifacts only appear in Certain games and benchmarks, especially anything heavily using DierctX9. We are tracking this over at the Asus forums and trying to find common denominators between community members that have the problem. The artifacts do not occur at 5:4 or 3:2 Ratios, so it's definitely something that Asus needs to address, NOT your fault. I was just stumped as to why my setup ran 267fsb @ 5:4 with 512 megs (2x256) of pc3200 Samsung but not that way with 1 gig pc3700 Corsair that I think is also using Samsung chips. I was thinking along the lines that maybe the 1 gb of pc3700 *MIGHT* be pulling more voltage and I need a larger Power Supply. I have an Antec 350watt. It has been doing just fine & all voltage Rails are within tolerance, so I may be looking in the wrong direction, although I realize that a fatter PSU wouldn't hurt. Sorry for rambling, I'm just thinking aloud. ;) Thank you for your input and quick response. Corsair has always been great, you guys do it right. I can say one this ram allows me to do that the Samsung didn't is to run with MAM & Turbo enabled without crashing. This offsets the performance loss that I experienced from haing to run the Ram a little slower to get to 3.2ghz. I have found in games that the 200 extra Mhz on the CPU equates to higher Framerates than running 5:4 at 3Ghz just to gain another 20 Mhz on the Ram. With Intel CPU's Mhz still matter the most. :) I'll shut up now. Peace.

PopCorn, You are so right! I believe there is a problem that is bios related while running ram 1:1 at higher front side bus speeds. PC3700 can reach DDR500 speeds easily. I've done it. However, the artifacts in 3d apps/games are terrible. I've found the best timings/settings are p4p800 dlx rev1.xx bios (1010) 2.4C @ 3.06 /1.632v / 5:4 divider Corsair twinx 3700 1 gig 2.5 3 3 5 8 @2.85v ctiaw 5642 mb/s prime95 stable mam and turbo enabled I could only reach 1:1 @ ddr 466/233 fsb which is the ram's rated speed. Anything higher I get artifacts. The ram can go to 250 fsb/ddr500. Windows is stable, but the 3d apps/games are pleagued with artifacts. I can go as high as 260 fsb @ 3:2 ratio without artifacts. All at the same ram timings:) After reading serveral posts over at ABXZone concerning P4P800's and running ram/fsb @ 1:1 ratio, I've come to the conclusion that buying better/higher rated ram is the way to go. For example, PC4400 or anything that is DDR 500 and above. OCZ, Geil, or Corsair DDR 500 or above might get you 1:1 / 250fsb without artifacts. phalinx

Another dude with the Asus Bug... Well, there seems to be a relation between the brand of ram chip used (Samsung in this case) and this Bug since it only happens with some P4P800 boards using ram from various vendors, not just Corsair. Hence, it's not Corsairs problem, it's Asus's. Happens with corsair, kingston & others I think. I believe that Samsung are the problem chips with running 1:1 @ high FSB speeds. According to someone in the know, it's a problem with Asus and how they have their P4P800 Bios tweaked for speed. They *could* fix it with a Bios revision but they may not do it because it would hurt the speed of the board. Since most people who have P4P800's either don't overclock or they run at 5:4 if they do, they may not see it as a priority. Also, for people who want to seriously overclock @ 1:1 they don't mind selling you a P4C800E I'm sure. I don't think buying faster Ram will solve the problem with this 1:1 bug, although I think there is some ram that doesn't seem to have the problem because they have different chips, so again maybe it goes back to chip that is under the heatspreader regardless of who manufactured it. Asus needs to address this because it's really gay to not be able to run your board however you want to. Good luck & keep hanging around ABXzone, if a solution is found, they will post it there first. Peace.

Archived