Corsair Community

Is this a good RAM choice, or should I go with something else?

BRUTUS

My system: AMD 64 3400+ ASUS K8V Deluxe ATI AIW 9800Pro I want 1gig(2x512mb) of RAM. As far as I can tell, VS1GBKIT400C3 will meet my requirements. But so can higher priced models. I was wondering, if indeed this choice would work. And for what reason I might want to use a different one. I'm concerned with compatibility, quality, and ease of installation. This will be my first system build. I've read about a lot of problems this MB has with RAM and I've also read that Corsair has updated some of their RAM to account for certain issues. So I'd like to know, if my choice is among those RAM. Thank you very much.

I should mention that I'm asking because of it's price. But I would be willing to spend more for the higher priced models if I knew it was worth it in either performance or something else. I'm putting together a fairly high-end system but I'm really out of my depth on these RAM issues, which I don't have a clear understanding of. So, any advice on specific models for my system, and why, would be greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employee
The difference in performance would be about 3-8 % faster for Twinx1024-3200LL. I have this combo running and would suggest it with this MB. Our Value Select is a great module, however, they are not as fast as XMS or Twinx1024-3200LL!

Thank you RAM GUY! For responding. To be clear, you mean this exact pair: [url]http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-435&depa=0[/url] Newegg lists them as 3200, though the model number is correct. The 3200LL they have is registered, and I'm pretty sure you did not mean that one. Additionally, isn't XMS what this set is? Or is Newegg wrong about that too? So you have this RAM and the K8V Deluxe in your own personal system? Are you also using the AMD 64 3400+....if so, that inspires a lot of confidence in your recommendation....in addition to your expertise, of course. Again, thank you for responding. Really appreciate it.

I don't imagine I'll be overclocking and this seems to be the primary reason to go all out on RAM, as some of the reviews have suggested. I'm still considering it, but is there an intermedia set of modules you would recommend that's somewhere between the Twinx1024-3200LL and the Value Select? On the one hand I'm drawn to the high-end, but don't know if it's warranted. On the other, I don't want to limit myself uneccesarily.

• Corsair Employee
Actually, with this MB there is little difference between Value Select and XMS as this MB is single channel. So you would have close to the same performance either way. I just changed to Value Select VS1GBKI400 and the test in Aida32 was about 1-2% faster with Twinx1024-3200LL. So I would suggest you go for what you can afford Our Value Select is a great value and would run well in this system!

Archived