Corsair Community

ASUS P4C800 E Deluxe & 2 x CMX256A-3200LL

robztr

Hello, I have the following Configuration: ASUS P4C800 E Deluxe P4 Northwood 3.2ghz 800FSB HT Chieftec 360W Power Supply 2 x CMX256A-3200LL Rev 1.1 1 x IBM 30gb 2 x Western Digital 120gb Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 Pro 128mb When i try to use my sticks by SPD my computer wouldn't boot WinXP or even install it. If i change values manually to for example 2.5-4-4-8 it seems to work perfectly, i installed WinXP yesterday with those settings anyway. What is the SPD values on my sticks? It doesn't say in bios when i use SPD. I bought these sticks to be able to use them in CL2 in 400mhz but atm that seems impossible. I have used them on another mb before but only i 333mhz because of the limitations and CPU on that mb and in that speed they works like a charm in CL2 mode. It seems to be that in 400mhz CL2 the sticks will fail almost instantly. I read in the forum that 2-2-2-6 could be the problem so do you think i should try 2-3-2-6? Because as i wrote earlier its impossible to use by SPD if i want to start up XP. I really hope you have some good suggestions or solution to solve this problem in the best possible way. Thanks in advance Regards robztr

• Corsair Employees
Please enter the bios setup and load setup defaults then set the timings manually to whats listed bellow, then you can test with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url]. However please disable legacy USB support when running this program. AI Overclocking Manual CPU External Frequency: 200 (You must have a 800 FSB CPU to run DDR400) Dim Reference Voltage 2.75 Volts Ssystem Performance: Standard DRAM Clock: Manually set to 1:1 or 400MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank P.S. one more thing I would really suggest at least a 400 Watt if not 450 Watt PSU with that configuration!

I tried these settings and they worked fine as it seems anyway. SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank

• 3 weeks later...
Now im confused, i have looked alot around the forum and this is the first time you suggest Row Precharge 3T instead of 2T like you have when you answered others with the same configuration. AI Overclocking Manual CPU External Frequency: 200 (You must have a 800 FSB CPU to run DDR400) Dim Reference Voltage 2.75 Volts System Performance: Standard DRAM Clock: Manually set to 1:1 or 400MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank At the moment i have these settings: System Performance: Standard SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank I haven't tried to increase the Dim reference voltage or anything yet. The only thing i have a problem with now with these setting are Steam. Everytime i disconnect or take exit or quit the system freeze. The only thing that help is a reboot with the magic reset button. I have tried other games such as warcraft 3 and also benchmark programs like 3d mark 2001 also movies and then the system doesnt hang or freeze. I forget to mention that i bought these sticks like 1 year ago so they are not Twinx. Please help out here Ramguy suggestions are very welcome. Regards robztr

I have now tried memtest86. First i tried to do it with SPD setting and got 0 errors. Then i tried 2 - 3 - 2 - 6 - 4 and still 0 errors. And all this is without increasing the dim voltage. The wierd thing is that i cant load XP with SPD settings even though it shows 0 errors in memtest86. Im gonna try now with your settings 2 - 3 - 3 - 6 and see if Steam still hangs or not. What i can make of all this is that the modules seems ok and that there is something else that i causing all the problems. Btw i have tried to exchange the motherboard for an exactly the same but i have the same problem with Steam.

• Corsair Employees
What is the error you get during the install? And how big is the HDD partition that you are installing WinXP on? Windows XP has some HDD size limitations and you would need to make the first partition no bigger than 64 Gig during the install! In addition, I would suggest that you set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts as suggested as well.

First of all i must say thanx for taking the time and really trying to solve my problem. The problem isnt's during the install, it's when i have played counter-strike for a while and trying to disconnect or quit or exit, yes you can make all of the above :P I'm going to try dim voltage now at 2.75 and see what happens. Anyway it seems a little random if the computer hangs or not, seems like if i play for a short while it doesnt hang but over a half-hour then it hangs.

• Corsair Employees
Well that type of problem may suggest a PSU issue or maybe driver. However, please let me know how you make out. In addition, you might visit [url]www.asusforums.org[/url] for some more help!

• 2 weeks later...
When i increased the voltage to 2.75 i was able to boot in SPD mode. My SPD on my sticks are 2.5 - 2 - 2 - 6 is that accurate? I have now tried 2 - 3 - 2 - 6 - 4 (Ras To Cas 3) and did memtest for 9 hours and no errors. I also tried without increasing the voltage doing memtest on SPD settings and got like 35000 errors. Tried with the increased voltage and they ran for like 1 hour without errors. What are the best settings when im able to run them in 2 - 3 - 2 - 6 - 4? But i must ask why memtest only shows 511mb of ram instead of 512mb? By the way Steam still hangs from time to time :( Also i was wondering why you say that the dram frequenzy must be set manually to 400mhz instead of auto that also detects 400mhz?

• Corsair Employees
With [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] you would need to disable legacy USB support, or you may get errors that are not from the memory! And I would suggest setting the timings to Cass 2-2-3-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and I think you will have no more problems.

I had legacy usb support disabled and also i had ras to cas set to 3 it works with memtest but in xp steam hangs, im now trying 2 - 3 - 3 - 6 - 4 with the increased voltage to 2.75. When i got the errors i had legacy usb support disabled and 2.75volt also it was when i tried SPD setting which are on my sticks 2.5 2 2 6. My sticks has to be a really old version or something. I have never been so unpleased with a product before so i really hope we can come to a solution and maybe exchange my sticks for Twinx 3200LL instead.

I have talked to the reseller where i bought the sticks and they are sending an rma and return applications. They said they where going to replace them for Twinx512 - 3200LL instead so i really hope i get everything to work now. If there will be any problem i make and rma here instead and send them over to you even though i live i sweden. By the way tried some other sticks not Corsair and the system doesn't hang now. I have made a bunch of disconnect, quit , changing resolution everything i couldnt with the other sticks and the system seems stable. I really hope getting my sticks replaced will get my problem solved.

Archived