Corsair Community

I got Problems!

Lohand

Folks, I got Problems! Here is the Rig that I recently completed; DFI LanParty Nforce2 Ultra (rev A+) AMD Athlon 3000 XP (Barton) Hercules 3DProphet 9800 Pro 128 AGP Western Digital 250gb 8mb HD Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 sound card Sony DRU-510A DVR-ROM PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510w Deluxe Vapochill XE Case/CPU cooling PolarFlo Blocks for Water Cooling the VPU/MB-NB Corsair TWINX1024-4000Pro (512x2) So far the Rig has not been overclocked and I keep getting freeze ups in windows (XP Pro). I spoke to the MB manufacture and have tried some of their suggestions (Up voltage etc.) nothing is working. I boot to windows and get freeze ups anywhere after 1/2 to 2 hours of up time. NOW HERE IS THE KICKER, If I run PRIME95 in the background the system stays up for hours on end. :confused: What is that all about? Any help would be appreciated...

• Corsair Employees
Do you have a 333FSB 3000+ or 400FSB 3000+, you should set the memory Frequency to 100% or 1-1; and you might try the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing!

Its an Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor. I have tried the XMS memory in a different Rig and all seemed well. I will try what you suggested (100% 1-1 & memtest86 on each) and I will post the results. Thanks...

• Corsair Employees
If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266. If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333 If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

I ran memtest86 for a few hours and got no errors. Below is a summary of what I go when I ran CPU-Z in winows. Are these settings accurate for my TWINX1024-4000Pro's? CPU-Z version 1.21 Memory Modules Serial Presence Detect (SPD) Module #1 General Memory type DDR-SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000) Size 512 MBytes Max bandwidth PC3700 (232 MHz) Part number CMX512-4000 Attributes Number of banks 2 Data width 64 bits Correction None Registered no Buffered no Timings table Frequency (MHz) 232 CAS# 3.0 RAS# to CAS# delay 4 RAS# Precharge 4 TRAS# 8 Module #2 General Memory type DDR-SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000) Size 512 MBytes Max bandwidth PC3700 (232 MHz) Part number CMX512-4000 Attributes Number of banks 2 Data width 64 bits Correction None Registered no Buffered no Timings table Frequency (MHz) 232 CAS# 3.0 RAS# to CAS# delay 4 RAS# Precharge 4 TRAS# 8

Here are the current AwardBIOS (Genie) settings; current CPU Frequency ........... 2184MHz Full Screen LOGO Show ........... Enabled ------- CPU/DRAM Clock Setting ------- CPU Clock Spread Spectrunm .... Disabled AGP Clock Spread Spectrunm .... Disabled CPU Clock Setting ................... 166mhz AGP Clock Setting ................... Auto CPU Ratio .............................. Default DDR DRAM Clock ..................... by SPD [COLOR=RoyalBlue]Current DDR Frequency ............ 200Mhz (Display field)[/COLOR] ------- OverClocking Controls ------- [COLOR=RoyalBlue]Current CPU Voltage ............... 1.60v (Display field) Current DIMM Voltage .............. 2.76v (Display field)[/COLOR] CPU Voltage Control ................ 1.650v AGP Voltage Control ................ Auto Chipset Voltage Control ............ Auto DRAM Voltage Control ............... 2.80v DFI Suggested that I move the DRAM and CPU Voltage. They were on Auto.

Here is some more info from the Advanced Chipset Features (BIOS Screen); System Performance ......... Optimal [COLOR=RoyalBlue]x CPU Interface ............... Optimal Memorty Timings .............. Optimal x T(RAS) ......................... 7 x T(RCD) ......................... 4 x T (RD) .......................... 4 x CAS Latency ................. 3.0[/COLOR] AGP Apature Size (MB) ...... 128M AGP 8x Support ................ Enabled AGP Fast Write Capability ... Enabled CPU Thermal-Throttling ...... 50.0% System BIOS Cacheable ..... Disabled Video RAM Cacheable ........ Disabled The areas in [COLOR=RoyalBlue]Blue [/COLOR]are not selectable unless I go to "Expert Mode" in the System Performance section...

• Corsair Employees
"If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333" You may have to run the memory at DDR333 If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333 You may have to run the memory at DDR 333 with that CPU! If you try to run the memory at DDR400 and the CPU at 166MHz, it will cause a bottleneck in the chipset and may generate errors that are not from the memory! e to run the memory at DDR 333 with that CPU! If you try to run the memory at DDR400 and the CPU at 400MHz, it will cause a bottelneck in the chipset and may generate errors that are not from the memory!

• Corsair Employees
current CPU Frequency ........... 2184MHz Full Screen LOGO Show ........... Enabled ------- CPU/DRAM Clock Setting ------- CPU Clock Spread Spectrunm .... Disabled AGP Clock Spread Spectrunm .... Disabled CPU Clock Setting ................... 166mhz AGP Clock Setting ................... Auto CPU Ratio .............................. Default DDR DRAM Clock ..................... 1-1 or 100% Current DDR Frequency ............ 166Mhz (Display field) ------- OverClocking Controls ------- Current CPU Voltage ............... 1.60v (Display field) Current DIMM Voltage .............. 2.76v (Display field) CPU Voltage Control ................ 1.650v AGP Voltage Control ................ Auto Chipset Voltage Control ............ Auto DRAM Voltage Control ............... 2.75v

Still not working. I am also unable to manually adjust the DDR DRAM Clock in the BIOS. The only choices are "AUTO or by SPD". Would a move to an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ "Barton" 400MHz FSB Processor be more compatible with the memory that I have? [SIZE=2][B]PS [/B]I am still puzzled as to why running PRIME95 in the background keeps the system from freezing?????[/SIZE]

Archived