Corsair Community

Is TWINX1024R-3200C2PT SPD Memory?

Stratos

Probably a stupid question but I have an Intel D865GLCK (two now, actually) that does not fire up at all and I can't figure it out. I can take the Proc, RAM, and power supply to another P4 board and it works fine. The only thing I can figure is the Intel board says it must have SPD memory. (But, I don't even get a beep, and I'd expect error beeps if it was simply that. But, I have to ask.) Thanks!

[quote name='Stratos']Probably a stupid question but I have an Intel D865GLCK (two now, actually) that does not fire up at all and I can't figure it out. I can take the Proc, RAM, and power supply to another P4 board and it works fine. The only thing I can figure is the Intel board says it must have SPD memory. (But, I don't even get a beep, and I'd expect error beeps if it was simply that. But, I have to ask.) Thanks![/QUOTE] I'm afraid it's not that simple. If you have not typed anything wrong, and you did get a TwinX1024[b]R[/b]-3200C2PT RAM, then you have got [b]R[/b]egistered RAM. Which, as far as I know, is not supported by the chipset on this motherboard. What motherboard did you test it on and it worked? J1NG

[quote name='J1NG']I'm afraid it's not that simple. If you have not typed anything wrong, and you did get a TwinX1024[b]R[/b]-3200C2PT RAM, then you have got [b]R[/b]egistered RAM. Which, as far as I know, is not supported by the chipset on this motherboard. What motherboard did you test it on and it worked? J1NG[/QUOTE] Hmmmm... I tested it on an MSI board. I unfortunately don't know which one. I think it may be the 865PE Neo2-PFISR. It was $99 at Fry's if that helps. =] This is the memory I bought. [url]http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097-17[/url] It claims it works with the 865G chipset. Also, if the problem was the Registered memory, I would still get a beep out of the motherboard, wouldn't you think? Thanks!

[quote name='J1NG']CandyKid, Stratos has confirmed he did a typo, so the RAM is not registered. It's just standard unbuffered 400Mhz DDR RAM. So he has actually got TwinX1024-3200C2PT instead. J1NG[/QUOTE] Right... So, this is how weird the situation is. I have the TwinX1024-3200C2PT, that Intel 865GLCK mobo, and a Prescott 2.8 P4 and TWO good power supplies. I actually have two of those Intel boards, because the first one I tried I thought was bad for sure. As soon as I turned on the master power switch on the power supply, the system turned on without pressing the power button. It never beeped, I never got video of course, and the processor never warmed up. So, I got *another* board since I figured the first one was bad. (had already tested the first one against the MSI board.) So I get the second Intel board... (oh, all these parts are boxed retail, BTW.) The second board at least doesn't turn on when I turn on the Power Supply - I have to pretty the power switch - but it's symptoms are otherwise identical. No video, no beep, CPU doesn't get warm. All I get are the LED light on the mobo, the power supply fan/CPU fan spinning, and the keyboard lights DO flash once. The thing I am having a hard time accepting is... Did I get TWO bad Boxed Retail Intel Motherboards?!?!?! That is too weird for me. It must be something else? But what?! Incorrect memory should at least give a beep. =(

[quote name='J1NG']CandyKid, Stratos has confirmed he did a typo, so the RAM is not registered. It's just standard unbuffered 400Mhz DDR RAM. So he has actually got TwinX1024-3200C2PT instead. J1NG[/QUOTE] Sorry again, I read that post three times too because it didn't make any sense to me! *slaps self* This might be a redundant question, but is the 4-Pin +12v connector from the PSU attached? (If present) What are your complete system specifications? You say "no video" does the monitor do anything at all? I've had bad vid-cards cause the monitor to go from standby to active and back (for about 1 second) after power-on then I got nothing. Does anything happen? PLUR CK

CandyKid: Np. :): Stratos: Turn over the motherboard and look at the back of the board for any pins that might have broken, or any cracks in the board. And if there are any broken pins, try and find what they belong too. I've had a serial port botched up before like that. Though in my case it didn't really matter. If a pin leading to a critical component on your board has broken, then you'll need to RMA it back. J1NG

Sorry. Trying not to be confusing. =] I've been building computers for a long time, so I'm no novice here. But I've been in networking for the past 5 years or so, so all the new fancy hardware takes me awhile to catch up. =] Need me to do anything with a 386 to P2 system? =] Ok, here's the exact scenario... slowly. =] I bought the Intel 865GLCK moterhboard, which has built on video. (retail.) I got the Corsair TwinX 3200 memory as I've references above, NOT registered. I bought a retail boxed Intel Prescott 2.8 P4. I have a Nexus 350 watt power supply. ([url]http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm[/url]) I put it all together and the system does not boot. (it was in the case, I took it out of the case, it's irrelevant.) Exact symptoms. I put the power cord in the PSU, and I hit the master power switch on the back. The system fires up IMMEDIATELY, even with the power switch lead DISCONNECTED. (as in, my Power Switch is not shorted.) When the system fires up, the power supply fan and the CPU fan spin. Hard drives do not spin up. (I connected them during testing.) The CPU does not get hot. There is NO video whatsoever. The monitor is good. I have an AGP video card that I know is good. I use it. It does not work. No beeps. Nothing. All I get are the spinning fans. So, then I go out and buy the MSI board and another power supply to troubleshoot. I hook up the new powersupply to the above stuff and it does not work. Same exact symptoms, except I actually have to hit the power switch with this power supply. So, then I try the MSI motherboard. It does NOT have built on video, so I must use the video card I have. EVERYTHING works with this motherboard. Both power supplies, the CPU, the RAM, everything. From that troubleshooting, I decide I have a bad motherboard. Seems pretty obvious, right? So I RMA the motherboard and overnight the replacement to me. Last night I hook it all up. SAME THING! BUT! With the second Intel motherboard I actually have to press the case power switch but the symptoms are the same. No video, no beeps, no CPU heat, just fans. Either power suppply, built on video or ATI AGP video. The exact same conditions. Of course, I can put everything back in the MSI board, and it all works. I definitely DO NOT have a bad CPU, bad RAM, bad PSU, or bad video card. SO... I must have a bad Intel motherboard, right? BUT TWO? In a ROW? RETAIL? BOXED? SEALED????????? I'm so frustrated. =( Which, led me to my first question, is the Corsair memory SPD? The Intel manual says SPD memory ONLY. But, as far as I know, all memory was SPD... or at least all *good* memory. But again!! This leads me to my final point! IF just the RAM was incompatible.... I'd get BEEPS! =( Thanks for your help.

[quote name='J1NG']CandyKid: Np. :): Stratos: Turn over the motherboard and look at the back of the board for any pins that might have broken, or any cracks in the board. And if there are any broken pins, try and find what they belong too. I've had a serial port botched up before like that. Though in my case it didn't really matter. If a pin leading to a critical component on your board has broken, then you'll need to RMA it back. J1NG[/QUOTE] I've inspected both boards thoroughly... No sign of damage or problem whatsoever.

I'm wondering whether it's a BIOS issue. Possibly that it hasn't been updated with a BIOS that can read a prescott CPU... Can you get hold of another P4 and try it with the board. You say you can test what you have in another P4 motherboard. Can you try that motherboards P4 on your motherboard? J1NG

• Corsair Employees
Actually, I would tend to agree with J1NG. Please use a slower CPU and update the MB's bios and see if it will post. In addition, you might check with Intel and make sure the MB you have will support a prescott CPU, as far as I know With Intel boxed MB's only I875 chipsets will support that CPU, but please check with them!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Actually, I would tend to agree with J1NG. Please use a slower CPU and update the MB's bios and see if it will post. In addition, you might check with Intel and make sure the MB you have will support a prescott CPU, as far as I know With Intel boxed MB's only I875 chipsets will support that CPU, but please check with them![/QUOTE] Hmmmm... getting a slower P4 will be a challenge. I don't have one, and don't want to buy one as it's tough to return. hmmm.. gotta think about that. But, the 865G does support Prescott... [url]http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/pentium4/index.htm?iid=ipp_desk+proc_p4ht&[/url] And, I'd honestly be amazed if this board did not have the proper BIOS for this CPU. But, I suppose that could be the case. (I'd still expect a beep even with a bad BIOS.) [url]http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/lc/index.htm?iid=ipp_desk+boards_d865glc&[/url] Thanks for the suggestions...

Well, I don't think it's a bad BIOS, just one that is having trouble with the CPU, so it hangs there, unable to go on and hence beep you with the error signals. Could you not try the P4 from the other P4 system you mentioned? J1NG

[quote name='J1NG']Well, I don't think it's a bad BIOS, just one that is having trouble with the CPU, so it hangs there, unable to go on and hence beep you with the error signals. Could you not try the P4 from the other P4 system you mentioned? J1NG[/QUOTE] Bad, incompatible.... either one. =] The other P4 system I mentioned is *just* the motherboard. I bought it to troubleshoot. I found this reference on Intel's site regarding CPUs and BIOS revisions. Fortunately, it lists serial numbers. I'm going to check this and if the BIOS is in fact too old, I'll pick up a non-Prescott one at Fry's and see what I can do. =] [url]http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/lc/lc_proc.htm[/url]

• Corsair Employees
I would direct you too [URL=http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/lc/lc_proc.htm]Supported CPU's[/URL]! You have to have bios P13 or newer and it would have to be a specific serial # as well! One thing you have to remember with MB’s or any electronic product they are all made over sea’s and as such the product that you have is at least 30-45 Days old, so they might not have the latest bios or firmware!

[quote name='RAM GUY']I would direct you too [URL=http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/lc/lc_proc.htm]Supported CPU's[/URL]! You have to have bios P13 or newer and it would have to be a specific serial # as well! One thing you have to remember with MB’s or any electronic product they are all made over sea’s and as such the product that you have is at least 30-45 Days old, so they might not have the latest bios or firmware![/QUOTE] Yea... I understand... I guess I just expected a higher level of detail from Intel. =\ (as in, at least let the board boot but run the CPU at the slower/older method. =]) It's somewhat making sense now... On the mobo box, there's a sticker that says, "Prescott Ready!" which, makes me think this is my exact problem. Thanks for all the help, guys. (still haven't confirmed, the stuff is at home.)

Oh, yea, now I've gone insane. I got a slower Proc and the board works, boots, awesome. The BIOS version was too old. I flashed the BIOS, I put my Prescott Proc back in.... it doesn't work. :mad: I know the Proc is good, though, as it works in the MSI motherboard - unless I broke it somehow between the last time I saw it working in the MSI board. =( But, the proc never got hot, so I'm not sure how I would have burned it up. Oh well. At least it's progress.

Oh, wonderful. I can see how it's worded now. [url]http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/lc/lc_proc.htm#Note[/url] That board revision is *physical*. No BIOS flash is going to do me. I can go into the BIOS of the board and see "Additional Information" and the board rev of course remains the same. The note claims you must have that Rev or higher AND the BIOS version or higher. =( Well, thanks guys... now I know the solution. Now I get to go through the excitement of RMAs and restocking fees. Yay.

• Corsair Employees
I think you had said that the Box said the MB you have was Prescott ready, if so I would contact Intel; and see what they have to say, as that sounds like a mistake on their part. From past experience they are normally good to work with and I am sure they will take care of you!

Archived