Corsair Community

Memory problems with AN7

drakull

Bought an AN7, a boxed 2500+ Barton and CMX256A-3200C2PT (2 modules in one pack, TwinX) about 3 days ago. My goal was to overclock the barton to 3200+ simply by putting FSB to 200Mhz, i've been told that this works flawless. Anyway, when i first ran my new system and get straight to the setup window to set FSB to 200Mhz, no POST... :confused: returned to 166Mhz and installed XP Home. I was running the memory at 166 too (333 DDR). Tried 2 more times OCing to 200Mhz FSB on the first day, no go. :mad: A part of it, had no problems for 2 days... the system was running smoothly. The problem is that since yesterday i keep getting BSODs every 5 or 10 minutes... haven't messed anymore with BIOS setup after day one. After many tries, i got to the Corsair site trying to find some info... and then i read that this memory runs at 2-3-2-6, but just if you use an Intel system... on AMD's it must run at 2.5-3-3-6. :sigh!: I decided to change it on the setup... i got surprised when i saw the numbers that the BIOS was reporting at By SPD setup... 2-2-2-5. :eek: The modules was running at this setup flawless for 2 days... anyway, i changed it to 2.5-3-3-6. Still getting BSODs... :[pouts: Tried everything yesterday, without success... today i woke up feeling lucky and tried raising CAS values... i got it to 3-3-3-11 and set the memory speed to 400mhz (by spd... was 1/1, giving 333Mhz) and voila! It worked! Running the system now by about 2 hours with no problems, but i want to know why it isnt running well at the manufactors speeds... and if the fact that it ran at 2-2-2-5 for 2 days may caused damage to the modules. I havent tried to run it at 2.5-3-3-6 with 400Mhz speed, just 333Mhz... do you guys think it may work? Thanks in advance and please forget my bad english, i'm from Brazil. :cool: BTW: 2500+ XP Barton Abit AN7 Rev. 1.0 (Bios version was 13, when i started getting BSODs i changed it to 14, the latest. I know it has problems booting SATA disks, but i dont use it by now) 2X CMX256A-3200C2PT MSI GeForce VTDR 5600 Maxtor 80Gb ATA 133

• Corsair Employees
You might try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. However, AMD has locked the barton CPU so they do not over clock as well as before. And the fact that you had the modules running at Cass 2-2-2-5 at DDR333 with out problems suggest's its the CPU holding you back. However I would suggest you try Cass 2.5-3-3-6 at 2.7 Volts and see if that helps.

[quote name='RAM GUY']You might try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. However, AMD has locked the barton CPU so they do not over clock as well as before. And the fact that you had the modules running at Cass 2-2-2-5 at DDR333 with out problems suggest's its the CPU holding you back. However I would suggest you try Cass 2.5-3-3-6 at 2.7 Volts and see if that helps.[/QUOTE] I tried it, i didn't got any BSODs. It seemed ok, worked well for about 2 hours, but after a while the system hangs and the screen goes black, requiring a power down to return to normal operation (reseting doesn't fix it).

• Corsair Employees
Try the system with the CPU at default speeds or: CPU Freq: 166 MHz Dim Voltage: 2.7 Volts Memory Freq: 100% or 1-1 DRAM Clock: 166 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T Then test the system with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url]. If the system is stable, it's probably you are just trying to get too much out of your CPU!

• Corsair Employees
Well, I dont think so! However, let me put it another way. If you try to run the memory at DDR400 and the CPU at 266 or 333 MHz, that will cause a bottleneck in the chipset and may generate errors that are not the fault of the memory!

Ok, i'm trying to run it at 333Mhz (1/1) and i'm still getting errors. Since the RAM was set to run at 3-3-3-8, i didn't get any BSODs, but the system either hangs (no black screen this time) or resets from time to time, same at 2.5-3-3-6, but at this setting the problems seems to happen sooner. And i can tell you that's not a matter of temperature. The CPU is running at 35C/95F, SYS is at 38C/100F and PWM 38C/100F. I can't run memtest by now because i don't have a floppy drive nor a CD-R Drive to write the boot disk, but i'm trying to get one of these to test the modules.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest testing the modules in another system if possible, if you do find you have a bad or failing module. Please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them.

Just to give you some feedback: I started changing some pieces of hardware trying to find out where's the problem... after changing processor, harddisk (sometimes when the systems got hung, the HD light became lit), power supply and so on (doesn't have other memory modules to test :(: ). I saw that the problem was my video board... it seems that AN7 doesn't likes my MSI GF FX 5600 VTDR... i'm using a GF2 GTS now and the system is running fine, at default memory settings and speed. Now i have to save some money to get another board or try to find a way to solve the problem... the FX5600 is running nicelly at my older system, so there's no problem with it. Maybe it's just a bios issue... dunno... Anyway, thanks for your efforts in helpping me.

Archived