Corsair Community

Upgrading 512MB to 1GB Corsair XMS RAM and PC won't boot

BobXFett

Hi all. Just saw the ad for this site on the back of my Corsair RAM package and figured I'd give it a shot. I built my own PC a while back, I have a P4C800-E Deluxe mobo, and I don't think the other specs are important (but if they are, somebody say so and I'll post 'em exactly). I built the PC with a single 512MB stick of Corsair XMS3200 400Mhz RAM (platinum edition with the heat spreader and all that, with the number CMX512-3200C2PT on the side). Everything has worked fine, and I just got Unreal Tournament 2004 so I decided to upgrade to 1GB of RAM. I bought another identical chip and just got that today. I opened it up and put it into slot B1 (the original RAM stick is in slot A1) of my motherboard, closed it up, and turned it on... Nothing happened. I got no video output, my computer didn't beep (my mouse is USB so I always get at least one beep on boot up), the harddrive light didn't blink after the intial power on, and nothing else happened. I had to hold the power button for 15 seconds to turn the PC off. I tried putting the RAM sticks in different configurations (A2 and B2, A1 and A2), and none of them would work. I finally took out the new stick and booted up with my original one and the PC came up with an error during POST. It said "overclocking failed!" and said press F1 to enter setup or F2 to load default settings. I went into BIOS and looked around, but I'm not sure exactly what setting is telling it to overclock RAM, if that's what it is trying to do (the CPU overclock is set to standard so it's not overclocking there). I also tried taking out my original RAM stick and putting in the new one by itself, and the computer booted fine. Any time I try using both sticks, however, the computer refuses to boot up, and when I remove one and boot successfully, I get the "overclocking failed!" message again. As I said, the RAM sticks are the same model, but I did notice one difference: on the top right of the sticker on the RAM, they both say XMS3202v#.#, where the original says 1.2, the new stick says 3.2 Some of my friends have suggested that the "timing is set differently" or the stick is "factory overclocked", and since I'm not really a RAM person, I have no idea what they're talking about ;) Anyway, that's my problem, and obviously I would prefer getting all the RAM to work rather than having to send this one back and stick with 512MB... So if anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate hearing them =) Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Please try and reset the bios by jumper with both modules installed and see if it will post and let you into the bios. If so, please set the timings manually to the settings listed bellow. If the system will not post, I would go ahead and submit the RMA for the older module and we will be happy to replace it so it matches the new one. CPU External Frequency: 200MHz System performance: Standard Dim Voltage: 2.75 Volts DRAM Clock: Manually set to 1:1 or 400MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank All other settings are motherboard

[EDIT] K, I read the manual more carefully and saw it ;) Anyway, I went ahead and tried that. I reset the CMOS with the jumper, and then I installed the second DIMM and tried booting up, still no POST. I turned the PC off and tried booting up again without success. As far as getting a replacement for the older module, what do I need to do? [/EDIT]

• Corsair Employees
Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

• 2 weeks later...
Well... I sent back my older v1.2 module and just got the return package today... I was under the impression that we had come to the agreement that I should try two modules with the v3.1 on them, but I was shipped another v1.2 DIMM instead, and I am of course having the same problem as before. I can not POST with both modules installed in the mobo. What am I supposed to do now? I don't mean to be rude, but I didn't pay 5 dollars shipping the module there for the fun of it... and it didn't seem to make any difference at all :[pouts:

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry about that, please email me at [email]ramguy@corsairmemory.com[/email] and I will get you our shipper account info, so you don’t have to pay for shipping again. We will get this resolved. Please include your previous RMA# and name address and phone# as well. But it will be on Monday as we are out on weekends!

Archived