Corsair Community

bad ram or bad mobo?

tomoko

I have a Gigabyte KA8NNXP mobo, and I've had a single CMX5123200-C2 v1.1 in it for a while now. Mobo running F12 BIOS, which is the latest. I just bought another CMX5123200-C2, but this is a v3.1 They won't play together at all. I haven't got a different motherboard to try, but I've tried everything on this one and still aren't sure whether it's the mobo or the ram that's the problem. With the old module installed, I set the timings exactly as specified in the FAQ here: Max speed = 200mhz tRAS=6 tRP=3 tRCD=3 CAS=2 Everything else is default. I reboot, and check again and the settings have 'stuck', if I reboot again I run XP and everything is fine. But if I put the new module in, and use the same settings, it takes longer to reboot and if I go back into the BIOS the timings are all reset to 'Auto'. This means CAS 3 and max memory speed to 166mhz. Yuck! The system does work but it obviously isn't what I paid for. Sounds to me like the newer module is bad? If I try both together it usually never even initialises the monitor. Sometimes I get a corrupted POST screen. It never actually gets any further. Tried upping VDIMM with no success. Tried installing the Gigabyte dual-power-supply module with no luck either. I'd appreicate any suggestions on how to get the thing running, or if I should RMA the RAM. Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
With 2 single XMS3200C2 modules you may have to slow the system down a bit to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 to make it stable, and I would set the memory Freq. manually to 100% and set the voltage to 2.7 Volts as well.

[quote name='RAM GUY']and I would set the memory Freq. manually to 100%[/QUOTE] I'm not sure what you mean by 100% I have speeds 100/133/166/200mhz, but no percent settings for memory speed. The 2 modules don't work together at any of those speeds. I tried the other settings you mentioned but it didn't help. But... forget about running them together. My original point was that even if I run them by themselves, they behave differently. The older module works at the advertised 2-3-3-6, whereas if I try the newer module by itself at those timings, the mobo hangs for a while and then sets the timings back to something stupid like 3-4-4-8. All I can assume is that the new module is broken :[pouts: :[pouts:

What he means by manually to 100% is to run the memory syncronous. If your bus is at 200 make sure your ram is at 200 also or 100% of your bus speed. Different boards have different ways of showing this. Some have %'s and others have ratios (1:1., 5:3, etc.). See which one yours is. If you want to run 100% on a ratio...set it to 1:1.

• Corsair Employee
Honestly, Giga-byte's bios leave a lot to be desired. And I have suspensions with manual settings with this MB or any MB made by them. However, at this point another alternative would be to send the older module for RMA and we will be happy to replace it too so it matches the new module. But that is your choice!

[quote name='RAM GUY']...Giga-byte's bios leave a lot to be desired...[/QUOTE] You are right there, although I've found their P4 BIOSes to be OK, this one is for an A64 and the available options are weird, and it's behaviour unpredictable. But prior to trying to add this RAM, it never gave me any grief at all. The FSB is 200mhz, I can't select anything lower than that, nor would I want to :) [quote name='RAM GUY']...And I have suspicions with manual settings with this MB or any MB made by them...[/QUOTE] When I try to set memory timings manually, it doesn't seem to 'stick' after rebooting, but when you investigate the AUTO settings, they are what I set them to. Very Strange. Even weirder, of the 100 or so times I've gone into the memory timings lately, twice it has shown a screen I haven't seen before with about a dozen settings instead of the normal 6 or so. Just too bizarre. And I do know about CTRL-F1, you need that to get to the memory timings at all. This is like some advanced-advanced mode. God knows what it's doing. [quote name='RAM GUY']...However, at this point another alternative would be to send the older module for RMA and we will be happy to replace it too so it matches the new module. But that is your choice![/QUOTE] I'm not sure if the older module is still under warranty, I can speak to my retailer about that, they are enthusiasts and are pretty understanding. I'd actually be pretty keen to RMA the Mobo as well. Thanks for your help, anyway!

• Corsair Employee
Well, let me be political here (something that I really hate to do by the way)! I would suggest testing the memory on another make of MB, anything other than Giga-Byte to be sure. However, to be fair to Giga-Byte; mixing modules of different revisions or different speed grades is tricky at best and some MB's will just not run well with manual settings or when mixing memory. Honestly, as a rule, I do not suggest it. But sometimes there is not much choice for us, $ permitting! So I do understand and will be happy to do what I can to help!

Archived