Corsair Community

vs512mb400c3 and Dell Dimension 8300

mizzoucat

Ramguy, I bought two sticks of vs512mb400c3 to put into my Dimension 8300...When I install the two Corsair sticks by themselves, my BIOS reports 400mhz memory speed.....However, when I install the two Corsairs with the two existing Infenion (or whatever cheap crap Dell puts in their computers) sticks, my BIOS reports the memory at 333mhz......I was told by Dell that as long as my new memory has CAS3, then it should work fine.....However, AIDA32 reports the CAS at 2.5 for both Corsair sticks....So I assume this is why my memory speed is going down to 333mhz.....I read somewhere that both the vs512mb400c3 and vs512mb400 have CAS of 2.5....so what's the difference between the two? I doubt I end up ever using the previous two Infenion sticks, but for future reference, I wanted to make sure my c3 ram is not mislabeled or anything and why it says c3 if it doesn't run at c3....thanks a lot

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry, but sometimes we will swap Cass 2.5 for C3 parts, as they would be a bit faster. Please submit an RMA and let customer service know the issue and see they make sure you get a true Cass 3 module.

Ramguy, If I don't intend on using the old Dell memory, would I be better off just keeping the mislabeled cass 2.5, and buying cass 2.5 in the future should I decide to add more memory.......I also thought you said in another post that both the c3 and without c3 modules used cass 2.5 and were interchangeable...thanks

• Corsair Employees
Well yes, the answer to your question is a bit complicated, however to simplify the answer. If we have orders pending for a slower item, our production staff will sometimes substitute a faster part. To put it in a not shell! With most systems it would be no problem and most do not care if they get something faster than what the paid for, but in your case with an OEM system, it's more of an issue as they do not provide the options to manually set the timings. However, I would suggest you consider keeping our modules and just use them, as they would be a bit faster. And again, I have no problem getting your modules replaced if you like, just let me know!

Archived