Corsair Community

512 2700 Corsair Value Select & NF7-M Issue

Giblet

I ordered the 512 2700 Value Select RAM from komplett, and it has a problem working with the NF7-M It boots up fine, but after a few minutes black lines appear, and sometimes it just restarts. The RAM is also being used as the video memory for the onboard graphics. I was told to test the RAM with memtest by Komplett.ie, and it passed, but the problems are still here. Komplett will not take the RAM back because they said they can't take back working RAM modules due to compatibility. Is there a problem with compatility with these two items? Does anyone have it working in this config, and what options are set in the bios. Also, would a bios update help?

Is this a new build or did you have other RAM in the system before the Corsair. Please list your complete system specifications in your signature. Also. please post your bios revision, and all bios settings relating to RAM, CPU, and voltages. If you are posting and able to run Memtest successfully my guess is that the RAM is not the culprit. I would also suggest that you have a look around at the [URL=http://forum.abit-usa.com/]ABIT FORUMS.[/URL] Good luck, Mike.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the memory Frequency manually to 100%, and set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the dim voltage to 2.7 Volts. If you still have problems after that, please test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing!

I tested the module and it did not fail. I set all the bios settings to the ones you asked and it's still showing corruption. It's definatly a problem with the RAM, as i've said the Twinmos works fine. Komplett have accepted an RMA so I'm sending it to them Do you think it is a compatility issue with the NF7-M?

• Corsair Employees
This MB or any MB with IGP has to rely on the memory to 110%, as it shares the system memory for Video. More than likely it is just either a bad module, or some other problem. The only issue I have seen with this MB had been solved with the latest Bios and with the latest reference driver from Nvidia!

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same set up, with a brand new NF7-m and 512meg 2700 Value Select RAM. Setup ran fine got to actually running windows and got corruptions appearing in the display, reboots and other problems pointing to RAM. Ran memtest, and all appeared well. Swapped RAM with 512meg Corsair XMS 2700 from my other rig and it ran fine. So I got a radeon 9600 pro, disabled onboard graphics and put the value select RAM back in and hey presto, it all runs as sweet as a nut. I have found that a lot of the dual channel n-force chipset boards are really picky with ram but I've never had this problem with corsair. have built around 20 nf7-m based systems since then and tried the value select ram just to be sure and same problem appeared in every system. no problems with XMS memory though.

• Corsair Employees
Thank you for sharing that info, I have been running this model in the lab with every lot of Value Select memory that we have had for the last few months and I have not seen a problem other than what I have stated previously. Please email me with the lot codes of the modules that you saw the problems with and I will try to duplicate the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
I have built 2 systems in the past few months that have suffered from issues with Value select Ram. They both used the Abit NF7-M mainboard and both used onboard graphics. The systems were unstable during Windows instalation and if I did manage to get it on they would suffer from graphics errors (pixels out of place and sometimes ASCII Charactors appearing on the screen) and reset. The first system was cured with Corsair XMS memory which was why I tried the module in the second. This again suffered from the same problem and so some more memory was purchased and the Value Select was left unused. A little while later the customer of the second system asked me for more memory so I decided to have a little test and re-installed the Value Select. Strangly the problem subsided and the system crashes only twice a day. After a few days V23 Bios came out for the NF7-M which has so far cured the problem entirely. My advice then is to try BIOS V23 (V24 is out now as it happens) before you RMA your Value Select.

Archived