Corsair Community

noob trying to learn! :D HELP!!!!!

Dofty

hi, apologies if this seems like a noobish question but I am new to this and im on the way to learning ;) I have an ABIT NF7-s motherboard which does up to DDR400. Now is the highest RAM I can get the XMS3200LL ?? I have read some posts on this forum that talk about people with XMS4000 and above memory on motherboards that also appear to be DDR400 only. Does this mean that the XMS Corsair values simply represent a speed that the module may be capable of, and doesnt relate to the normal PC value? So an XMS4000 module is actually a PC3200 with the potential of reaching 500Mhz?? However the Corsair website does say that the XMS3200LL is the reccomended memory for my board.... hmmage, have I got completely confused somewhere?? lol sorry for being such a noob, but you all where one day :P cheers for any help you can give, Dofty

[quote name='Dofty']hi, apologies if this seems like a noobish question but I am new to this and im on the way to learning ;) I have an ABIT NF7-s motherboard which does up to DDR400. Now is the highest RAM I can get the XMS3200LL ?? I have read some posts on this forum that talk about people with XMS4000 and above memory on motherboards that also appear to be DDR400 only. Does this mean that the XMS Corsair values simply represent a speed that the module may be capable of, and doesnt relate to the normal PC value? So an XMS4000 module is actually a PC3200 with the potential of reaching 500Mhz?? However the Corsair website does say that the XMS3200LL is the reccomended memory for my board.... hmmage, have I got completely confused somewhere?? lol sorry for being such a noob, but you all where one day :P cheers for any help you can give, Dofty[/QUOTE] your board will take over 3200. ram over 3200 maynot be JEDEC ratified though (3500 possibly these days). you will benefit more from ram that can do tight timings. try to get pc3500 (if your oc'ing). if not, then pc3200 will do just fine for you. dual channel on the abit yields a great performance increase over single channel configuration, so definitely get 2 sticks of the same type of ram. for example, when i drop to single channel, i lose ~125-150mb/s. enjoy:)

Archived