Corsair Community

P4 533FSB & Dual channels RAM Compatibility

Fencer

Hi guys! I am considering to buy either Abit IC-7 or IS-7 (i875p or i865 espectively) board and I was wondering which dual channel TWINX RAM would work best on it . I have my eyes on TWINX1024 4000Pro, but will it work with P4 533Mhz FSB ? I can't find any info regarding this and most of the systems mentioned here run 800Mhz FSB, so could anyone please advise if I can run 4000Pro with 533 Mhz FSB ? Appreciate your help!!

• Corsair Employees
No, sorry! XMS4000 will not run at less than DDR400 by default, how ever you might be able to use other memory to post the system and set the memory timings manually and use them till you get a 800 FSB CPU! In addition I would go for Canter wood Chipset, IC7!

[quote name='RAM GUY']No, sorry! XMS4000 will not run at less than DDR400 by default, how ever you might be able to use other memory to post the system and set the memory timings manually and use them till you get a 800 FSB CPU! In addition I would go for Canter wood Chipset, IC7![/QUOTE] Appreciate your help!! I was leaning toward 'Canterwood' myself, but currently I have P4 @3.06Ghz/533FSB on ASUS P4T33 w/Rambus RDRAM 1066, unfortunately. So I guess I will have to buy everything. Anadtech and Tomshardware just give raw numbers bandwidth wise, and I couldn't find at least an approximate performance comparison difference bw Rambus 1066 & Corsair TWINX4000 which brings me to another question: Is there a significant difference between Rambus bandwidth in a dual channel and XMS TWINX4000PT dual channel bandwidth ? I only have 512Mb (2x256 Dual) RDRAM right now and it is next to impossible to find 1024Mb (512x2) of Rambus in dual channel, so I figured 1024Mb of DDR400(XMS4000 is DDR400, am I right here??) will give my system a boost, provided I get i875P chip and 800FSB. Thank you again!!

• Corsair Employees
Well, XMS4000 would be running a CPU at 250 MHz, or over clocking, and yes it would be faster than RDRAM. However, not all MB’s and or CPU will be able to run at this speed. What's really more important is over all system performance. If for example you have great memory performance, but the Video performance or HSS performance is slow then the added memory performance will have little affect over all. I would suggest that you load AIDA32 and then run the benchmark as this will list all kinds of systems and give you a better idea about memory performance. And where you should be! If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266. If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333 If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

[quote name='RAM GUY']Well, XMS4000 would be running a CPU at 250 MHz, or over clocking, and yes it would be faster than RDRAM. However, not all MB’s and or CPU will be able to run at this speed. What's really more important in over all system performance. If for example you have great memory performance, but the Video performance or HSS performance is slow then the added memory performance will have little affect over all. I would suggest that you load AIDA32 and then run the benchmark as this will list all kinds of systems and give you a better idea about memory performance. And where you should be! If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266. If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333 If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400[/QUOTE] Great!! This is the kind of an answer I was looking for. And finally the last question: In your professional opinion what would be the performance gain, if any, of TWINX4000 @bus speed of 250Mhz over TWINX3200 @bus speed of 200Mhz on a Pentium 4's FSB of 200Mhz(800Mhz quad pumped) ? The latter will work sync, while the former would be async. Thanks!!!!

• Corsair Employees
NO! I think you are not getting this, In order to run DDR400 you would have to be running a 200 MHz CPU. And in order to run a memory module at 250 MHz you would have to intern run the CPU at 250 MHz. You would not be able to run out of sync.

Archived