Corsair Community

XMS 4000 @275FSB,2-3-3-5, but I need more!

Ok here is my dilema. I have two 256MB sticks of XMS 4000 that I run on my Asus P4C800-E at 275FSB, 2-3-3-5, 2.85V. Very excellent sticks. However I want to have 1 Gig of memory. Should I: 1) Get two sticks of 256MB XMS 4400 at hope they will perform like my current sticks. 2) Get two 512MB sticks of XMS4400. 3) Stay with what I already got. I want to run at 275FSB or better with the same timings I got. I have no idea what to do. Please Help.

The best rule of thumb is to keep the memory THE SAME...series and speed for best results. I wouldn't mix 4000's with 4200's personally. So, keep the 2 sticks you have and add another stick of 512 of the same series and speed.... Are you running in dual channel now? If so, make sure if you do it this way that you have each channel taking care of 512mb... Put the 512mb stick in the "offset" slot.

• Corsair Employees
Due to chipset loading issues you will always get better performance from 2 single sided modules (what you have now) than 2 double sided modules (512mb sticks). With this in mind, if you were to get 2 more 256 4000 modules you would probably not be able to get as high FSB. To continue with the FSB that you have and a gig of memory the twinx1024-4400 will get you where you want to go. However, don’t expect to run CAS 2 with more than 2 banks of memory. If you add any more memory you will be looking at CAS 2.5 at best.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived