Corsair Community

UNDERclocking errors? TWINX-3200C2(512MB)

SkyCliff

To troubleshoot some data corruption issues I've had recently, I've swapped CPU, hard drive, RAM, powersupply, etc. I found that the errors returned when I put back in the TWINX memory. However, at that time I had a different CPU installed for troubleshooting purposes and was running the TWINX way under spec (133MHz FSB instead of 200, and the auto precharge disabled). Memtest86 showed many consistant errors on the last two bits. I then set the memory timing in the BIOS to SPD (2-3-3-8, not the 2-3-3-6 that is advertised) and ran Memtest86 again and so far haven't gotten any errors (2 passes, about 35min worth of testing). Do I have bad RAM or is it normal for 200MHz memory to test bad when running at 133MHz? Thank you for your indulgence, SkyCliff

For the above: Epox 8RDA+ Athlon 2500+ (Barton) WD 40GB 8MB buffer ATI 9800XT Lite-On CD/RW Creative DVD I had an Athlon 1700+ installed for troubleshooting at the time of the above post. I also swapped the ATI card for a GF3 during the process. The new powersupply is still installed, since I needed a better one anyway.

• Corsair Employees
Please test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url], and please set the timings manually to the tested settings for the modules you have. Cass 2-3-3-6 and set the memory Freq at 100% with the Dim Voltage set to 2.7 Volts. Let's make sure one is not failing!

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I have tested the parts individually and together using 2-3-3-6 at 166MHz (100%)and 200MHz (120%) with no errors after several passes with memtest86. I'll get a few more passes with both modules installed before I start reloading my system. For now I'm willing to blame my glitches on a power supply with unacceptable ripple in the output and/or under voltaging the DIMMs. My BIOS does not give me an exact 2.7v for the RAM. My choices are either 2.63v (default) or 2.77v. The above tests were done with the 2.77v setting. Is this voltage acceptable? I appreciate your efforts. Thank you for your indulgence, SkyCliff

Archived