Corsair Community

VERY high memory voltage on Gigabyte 8IPE1000Pro 3

pfx

My problem is the voltage provided by default by the Gigabyte 8IPE1000Pro 3 (i865PE) motherboard (bios versions F3 and F4 have been tested, same results). When enabling Top Performance in bios (which in fact enables what is known as PAT on i875 chips), the default memory voltage is a whopping 2.9V, and unlike CPU voltage, RAM voltage cannot be lowered through the bios (only increased). Since I am not an extreme overclocker, nor do I have o'c hardware designed for use with such high voltages, I'm worried it might damage my memory. I'd like to know if my memory (2x CMX512-3200C2PT) will do ok with such high voltages, or will it die in a couple of weeks/months ? (again, I [B]don't[/B] want voltages that high, they're set by default by the bios!) I also emailed Gigabyte support, reporting my findings and asking if they intend to fix that in a future bios version, but I haven't got an answer yet (I emailed them almost a week ago, and according to their "message status", my mail hasn't even been read yet).

• Corsair Employees
Well, anything over 2.8 Volts will void the warranty of your modules, However if the system is stable it should not be a problem, only that if it does fail, I am sorry, but we would not be able to replace them. As far as when and if they will fail; that's hard to predict. I would look for the Over voltage control and see if they don’t have a -.01 Volts setting!

First of all, thanks for the quick reply. Second, as I said, the voltage unfortunatelly cannot be lowered, only increased by 0.1, 0.2, or 0.3 volts. As far as stability is concerned, the system is stable (haven't done a memtest yet, though). Anyways, I hope Gigabyte replies too (before my memory modules die), so I can show this to my dealer because he refuses to believe the voltages are that high and says as long as the system is stable everything is just fine and he doesn't care about voltages :( Thanks again for your reply, RamGuy :)

RamGuy, maybe you could take a look at my other thread ([url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23847[/url]) too. That one is directly related to Corsair memory. Thanks. [SIZE=1](P.S. have never had this much bad luck with my hardware in ten years of computers...)[/SIZE]

• Corsair Employees
With 2 single XMS3200C2 modules, the suggested settings would be Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. However, that would suggest that you may have an older XMS3200C2 or XMS3200 not C2. Please use Aida32 and check what is in the SPD for both modules. And I would suggest looking at the label of the new modules just to make sure you have what you think you have!

[quote name='RAM GUY']With 2 single XMS3200C2 modules, the suggested settings would be Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. However, that would suggest that you may have an older XMS3200C2 or XMS3200 not C2. Please use Aida32 and check what is in the SPD for both modules. And I would suggest looking at the label of the new modules just to make sure you have what you think you have![/QUOTE] I thought the setting should be 2-3-3-6 for Twinx pc3200 512 memory pair on Intel 865 platform,(as this Gigabyte mobo is) according to Corsair's website. :confused:

Archived