Corsair Community

ASUS/P4P800-DEL/& 2GB TWINX CMX512-3200CPT

Moongoat

:confused: HELLO; RAM GUY PLEASE HELP! My system:ASUS-P4P800 Deluxe/865PE Chipset/800MHz FSB Pent4 3.20GHz Processor,Have two Video Cards not sure which one I will use with this setup.Both have dual VGA capability,I plan on using Two Monitors.I have installed both cards,one at a time in older machine they both function perfectly,with two Samsung 17" LCD analog Flat Screens. #1 ASUS-V9280S/TVD/N/GeFORCE 4/Ti4200/128MB 8X/600MHz #2 ALBATRON-GeForce4/Ti4280/TDP/128MB 8X /500MHz ADAPTEC 29320LP-R SCSI controller card Two SEAGATE Cheetah 15K SCSI drives One WD 80GB 7200rpm Caviar IDE YAMAHA CD-RW Burner SONY CD Rom Drive TEAC Floppy Drive ANTEC TruePower 550 Watt Power Supply running 5 fans two are specifically cooling two SCSI Drives I recently purchased Two Corsair TWINX(2x512)400MHz modules "CMX512-3200CPT",with Platinum heat Spreaders,and plan to install 512MB in each of the four DIMM Slots,totaling 2GB of Ram.This Computer is running Sound Recording & Film Editing software, From posts I have seen at "WWW.Houseofhelp.com",I'm getting the feeling my boat's sinking before it's in the water! Will be running software that requires "Lots of Fast Ram" Could You tell me if the TWINX/CMX512-3200CPT One 512MB Stick in each of the four Slots will work? I plan on enabling the "Dual Channel Memory Support Option" on AsusP4P800/Deluxe.These were some of the reasons I purchased the board,and more expensive Corsair Ram.I certainly want to take advantage of Dual Channel Option.After all, it's what I'm paying for! Asking (Begging)the RAM GUY for some urgently needed HELP! If I got the wrong goods,it would make sense not to even open the sealed packages.This way I could send em back & get the right Corsair modules,before the 30 day return policy expires! Also,maybe you could suggest which of the two VGA cards I should use.I'm thinking the ASUS9280S cause they manufacture the motherboard.What do you suggest? P.S. Not planning any overclocking, just want to get 2GB of corsair XMS installed & functioning in dual channel mode! Thank You the help is Much Appreciated!, Sincerely, Peter Sears

• Corsair Employees
First thing; please double check the part#! Should be either Twinx1024-3200PT or Twinx1024-3200C2PT! In addition, I would not suggest 4 modules with this chipset, but it should run with out problems at Cass 2.5-3-3-7 with CMX512-3200C2 and at Cass 3-3-3-8 with CMX512-3200, at 2.75 Volts. I would suggest testing the modules one at time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and you will need to disable Legacy USB support when running this program. Moreover, with 4 modules power will be a concern, as the system would need upwards of 48 Watts just for memory under a full load.

Hello Once Again, Thanks for the fast reply,it's much appreciated! My part# is "Twinx1024-3200C2PT" If I understand correctly, I should run the sticks one at a time with 2.75 Volt setting.Also disable USB while running memtest! Could you please specify the cass numbers once again for these sticks I'm sorry about miss labeling part# on my previous post. If all goes smoothly,will I be able to run dual channel?Probably won't ever push to full limit ,but what problems could occur with four sticks drawing up to 48 watts? Would I have been better off purchasing two 1024GB sticks instead of four 512GB sticks?Found this other part at Corsair website."CMX1024-3200PT" 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 w/platinum Heat Spreader.In other words will this senario work also? Would populating two DIMM slots with 1GB each in Dual channel mode help with potential wattage problem? Many Thanks, Peter Sears :confused:

• Corsair Employees
Peter, For the exact timings, please follow the link in my signature, and look up your modules part#, about the middle of the post! It's not that there would be a problem, however if you do not have enough power you may get random errors or poor performance as the least! I would suggest the best power supply you can afford, as the PSU is like your hart in your body, if the power is not stable, you may have all kinds of anomalies. In addition, I would take a look at DDR Basic’s as the presentation should help answer some of these questions. However to make a long story short; there is more loading with more modules on the chipset. So running with 2 1.0 Gig modules would let the chipset be more efficient than it would with 2 modules. .

Archived