Corsair Community

P5w Dh + Twin2x4096-8500c5df

PrZaC

Hello.

I just received the kit - it surely is a killer. It killed my P5N-T after 3 spontaneous reboots + some bios freezes. I never got a chance to stabilize the system with these memos. The PC worked perfectly with...other vendor's memories.

I had to revert to my trusty P5W DH. They work OK as DDR2 800 memory, but even when I force 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V settings in my bios (Hyperpath 3 is disabled, I'm even trying with a beta bios!), there's no chance in hell I can make them work at 1066, or near their stock speed.

The PSU in an Enermax 535W, so power is not an issue.

Got any idea for a solution? Does Corsair actively work with ASUS?

Casper42 has similar problems, I just wanted to make a new post as these memos are different.

Have you Memtested the DRAM sticks singly? Killed your board? DRAM is passive. DRAM can not injure hardware. Hardware can damage DRAM though.

Hello.

I just received the kit - it surely is a killer. It killed my P5N-T after 3 spontaneous reboots + some bios freezes. I never got a chance to stabilize the system with these memos. The PC worked perfectly with...other vendor's memories.

I had to revert to my trusty P5W DH. They work OK as DDR2 800 memory, but even when I force 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V settings in my bios (Hyperpath 3 is disabled, I'm even trying with a beta bios!), there's no chance in hell I can make them work at 1066, or near their stock speed.

The PSU in an Enermax 535W, so power is not an issue.

Got any idea for a solution? Does Corsair actively work with ASUS?

Casper42 has similar problems, I just wanted to make a new post as these memos are different.

Hey :)

Yeah, I've passed several memtest tests and some hours with OCCT. I should mention that my Q6600 is overclocked (FSB 333), but the RAM just can't keep up. The system gets very unstable after the DDR "833" mark. I used to have a pair of 1GB DDR2 800 @ 1000 at 2.1V (5-5-5-12) before these Twins.

I said the kit killed my P5N-T because after installing the memos the whole mobo got so unstable that at one point, after the last spontaneous reboot, never came back. I even tested it with other sticks of ram after that. R.I.P. P5N-T :(

Thanks.

You do understand what the statement "DRAM is passive" means electronically? You can set the motherboard to values that will blow the MCH or other board components but DRAM can not cause damage to hardware. Very likely some settings blew the MCH or another component. You state you are overclocking and this means that you are placing stress on components. When you overclock, you can damage components and one never knows if the board they buy is a great one, a mediocre one, or a poor one in terms of possible overclock damage. But the DRAM did not kill your board. You might have set values that killed it or the board might have been a poor one that could not handle the overclock. Certainly a 333 X 9 = 3.0Ghz is not an overclock that would normally cause issues so possibly you had a bad board.

If you are passing Memtest then you have other issues than DRAM. I advise you to remove the power plug, remove the CMOS battery, set the CMOS_CLR jumper to on and press the power switch for ~30 seconds. Then set the CMOS_CLR jumper to off, replace the CMOS battery, one stick of DRAM closest to the CPU and insert the power plug.

Enter the BIOS and set the DRAM to 1066Mhz, the DRAM voltage to 2.1v and test both modules singly. If you get reboots from both DRAM modules, then I would test with another stick of DRAM to isolate the issue. I would say that it is unlikely that both sticks would be issuing problems to your system stability but something tells me you might have overvolted and damaged the DRAM. If both sticks are damaged this is most likely the case and you very likely will have to RMA the sticks.

Thanks for your reply. Sure, I know what you mean about the RAM playing a passive role (I overclock computers since my first 386DX, w00t!). Just be aware that on the P5N-T, with the 1001 bios, NO hardware setting was touched, all stock, no love. I haven't overvolted the DRAM, just the CPU (1.375V, not really something dangerous).

The P5W case puzzles me... done every steps I know to troubleshoot the problem, including some of the steps you've suggested. I've run hours of OCCT using RAM tests only. Everything stable at DDR2 833 ...

I'll just re-memtest the mems overnight, but I'm sure I won't find any errors.

This seems to be a motherboard/memory compatibility issue of some kind.

Certainly the P5N-T has it's share of issues so the board could have been defective of somewhat faulty. At any rate, the P5W-DH is a bit of an older board and works best with a 1:1 relationship with the DRAM.

Thanks for your reply. Sure, I know what you mean about the RAM playing a passive role (I overclock computers since my first 386DX, w00t!). Just be aware that on the P5N-T, with the 1001 bios, NO hardware setting was touched, all stock, no love. I haven't overvolted the DRAM, just the CPU (1.375V, not really something dangerous).

The P5W case puzzles me... done every steps I know to troubleshoot the problem, including some of the steps you've suggested. I've run hours of OCCT using RAM tests only. Everything stable at DDR2 833 ...

I'll just re-memtest the mems overnight, but I'm sure I won't find any errors.

This seems to be a motherboard/memory compatibility issue of some kind.

Certainly the P5N-T has it's share of issues so the board could have been defective of somewhat faulty. At any rate, the P5W-DH is a bit of an older board and works best with a 1:1 relationship with the DRAM.

In synthesis...no magic numbers for me? :P

In synthesis...no magic numbers for me? :P

Download Memtest from http://www.memtest.org and write the image to a CD.

Try these settings:

Configure System Frequency/Voltage

• AI Overclocking = Manual

• CPU Frequency = 333

• DRAM Frequency = 1066MHz

• Performance Mode = Auto

• PCI Express Frequency = 100

• PCI Clock Synchronization Mode = 33.33

• Memory Voltage = 2.1v

• CPU Core Voltage = Auto

• FSB Termination Voltage = Auto

• MCH Chipset Voltage = 1.45

• ICH Chipset Voltage = Auto

Advanced Chipset Settings

• Configure DRAM by SPD = Disabled

• DRAM CAS# Latency = 5

• DRAM RAS# Prechardge = 5

• DRAM RAs# to CAS# Delay = 5

• DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15

• DRAM Write recovery Time = 4

Leave all else on AUTO settings. Boot to the Memtest CD and allow a few passes. I think you already know what you're doing so I don't think that there are any magic numbers with that board. There's no ability to drop ratios is there? A new BIOS that allows manipulation of CPU strapping and CPU Multiplier Ratios?

There's no ability to drop ratios is there? A new BIOS that allows manipulation of CPU strapping and CPU Multiplier Ratios?

I'll try raising the MCH voltages a bit as you suggested. There're no multipliers, as you can set the CPU FSB as you like then select the DDR2-XXX(X) speed you want.

E.G.

CPU FSB 266

DDR2-533, or 667 or 800, ..., 1066, when running the system at stock speed.

I'll "bump" this thread up just to say Hi to Yellowbeard ;)

Nothing worked guys. I'll just wait for the P5N replacement or I'll just them on another system if I ever get my hands on one.

Archived