Corsair Community

Black Screen, No *Apparent* POST

traelin

OK I am new to building computers, so bear with me if I am asking lots of beginner questions.

I just finished checking, rechecking, and re-rechecking all my connections and everything is 100% correct. But for some reason my mobo isn't going into the POST test, and my monitor sits in standby mode. I've tried moving RAM to different DIMMs and that didn't do anything. I've checked the power and connectivity of the GX2 and that's fine. Everything else in the case is getting power and working (fans, drives, power/reset buttons, etc.)

Here are some other things I did:

1. Disconnected all devices except video card from mobo, no-go.

2. Moved GX2 to other PCI-E slot, no-go.

3. Switched out 8pin with 4pin into EATX12V, no-go.

4. Took out one stick of RAM, moved them around to black DIMMs, etc., no-go.

5. Cleared CMOS, no-go.

6. Check CPU fan and all other connections, nothing.

What the heck should I do before shipping all this stuff back? This is frustrating!

Have you tried a single DIMM?

Can you perform a testbed analysis. This requires exchanging parts for known working parts. I would install the processor in a different board and see if you gain boot. If you gain boot, and since you attempted a minimal installation of hardware to boot, then I would look to the mainboard as being a source of issue.

Have you tried a single DIMM?

Can you perform a testbed analysis. This requires exchanging parts for known working parts. I would install the processor in a different board and see if you gain boot. If you gain boot, and since you attempted a minimal installation of hardware to boot, then I would look to the mainboard as being a source of issue.

I actually took it to Best Buy to let them do the testbed analysis. I just didn't have the energy to deal with it anymore, due to my newborn. For $59, I'll let them have the honor of trying out a cheap video card, cheap CPU, etc. to see if that fixes it.

In my gut I think it's the BIOS. ASUS just released version 1109 on 3/28, which provides support for newer CPUs. I have this feeling that that is going to solve my problems. I'll find out by WED.

Archived