Corsair Community

Problem with XMS 2 GByte DDR2 Twin2X

Honzo

I have a Dell Dimension 9200. I bought 2 gigs of XMS DDR2 PC-6400 800MHz Twin2X today to add onto the 2 gigs of ram that game with my dell. When I added the 2 gigs and checked my bios it said I had 4 gigs which made sense. However once I started my computer it gave me a blue screen saying something about new hardware and then it reset my computer. It does this every time within a minute of logging in, when I ran dxdiag.exe it said I only had 3 gigs even though bios said I had 4 gigs. My computer runs fine on the dell 2 gigs by themselves and on the XMS 2 gigs by themselves but for some reason when they are all in my computer gives me the blue screen and resets. I have mixed and matched all of the ram into all of the 4 ram ports and everything works in pairs but when all 4 are in it doesn't work. This is very frustrating and if someone would help me I would be deeply grateful.

You have chosen the wrong modules for you DELL OEM machine.

I'm not sure what this means, I went onto a memory website and input my computer model and it said it could run a DDR2 PC2-6400 so I bought one, was this a mistake? I can use just the 2 corsair ram without the ram that came with my computer fine but does this mean the 4 cannot run together?

Also, mixing and matching DRAM is never advised. Are you running with a 32 bit OS such as Windows XP 32bit or Vista 32bit? If so, please read this thread:

I am running 32 bit, does that mean 3 gigs is the max I can run at or is there a work around for vista?

Yes, the XMS series is NOT listed by Corsair as being compatible with your computer.

As for Vista / XP (32-bit), both have the same memory usage limitation.

Does this mean they won't work with my computer at all or just not with the ram that came with my computer? I just found out I cannot return the ram I bought :( so my only option would to be to buy one more Gig of XMS2 to go with my other 2. Otherwise its all a big waste of money :(.

Ok, since I already wasted $70 I want to make sure the next memory card I buy is definately going to work. The RAM that came with the computer were: Hynix 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300U-55-12, HYMP512U64BP8-Y5 AB-T. Does Corsair make any RAM that is pretty much the same as this and will therefore work with my computer?

Archived