I've got a set of CM2X1024-6400C4. The system specs are:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 BIOS F7

Intel E4500 C2D CPU

Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT

Seagate 80gb 7200.10 SATA

20x Samsung SATA DVD Burner

Antec Solo Case

Corsair VX450 Power Supply

The machine randomly would not POST until I put in a single stick and boosted the memory voltage by .4v to 2.2v. Then it passes hours of memtest but Windows keeps crashing with Stop 8Es. Tried the memory in another machine with identical specs and I get the same behavior. I'm suspecting compatibility problems or something. I've built 10 of these machines now and run into this type of thing on 3 of the 10. Are there any known compatibility issues with this memory and that motherboard? A BIOS update doesn't help. Tried that already. The weird thing is that that memory set is on Gigabyte's compatibility list for that motherboard... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am a systems integrator, and if I had that many issues on a board of choice I would personally change the board of choice. For some reason you wish to continue with it. Three boards out of ten issuing errors and seven out of ten not shows that the problem may well not be incompatibility but a poor choice of boards. It's never a good idea to test with the same board as well, doubly so when you have found as many board errors as you have. You are bypassing warranted voltages for that DRAM as well. If you need that much voltage to find even a partial stability with those boards, then my advice is to find a better board of choice.

I too am a system's integrator. I have 7 machines running perfectly with this exact same combo. I have considered replacing the board, but to be honest, Gigabyte and Asus have been about the only manufacturers that I have been able to get decent support out of. Got any better suggestions in the sub $125 range for C2D chips?

Seven out of 10 is not acceptable to me personally. That means for every 10 machines I build, three will be coming back. Sorry, that is not acceptable. I find that the Asus P5B or P5K Vanilla to be the best board for that price range. Returns are very low and when I say low, I mean approximately one every fifty boards or so. My support is at the distributer level, not ASUS. You also might find that 6400C5's are better at that level.

I too am a system's integrator. I have 7 machines running perfectly with this exact same combo. I have considered replacing the board, but to be honest, Gigabyte and Asus have been about the only manufacturers that I have been able to get decent support out of. Got any better suggestions in the sub $125 range for C2D chips?

7 out of 10 isn't okay with me either... However, given the ratings I see for that board everywhere I wondered if it was just my bum luck that I got 3 bad ones. If I get any more of this crap I'll definitely be switching back to Asus. I have quite a few Asus boards out there without problems. What distributer do you go through if you don't mind my asking?

I work exclusively with NCIX. Any hardware failures are dealt with via them, and I just pickup new parts immediately. When the RMA parts come back, I just use them in new systems. Since my wife is related to the district manager I am privy to return rates, and spend a bit of my time there.

7 out of 10 isn't okay with me either... However, given the ratings I see for that board everywhere I wondered if it was just my bum luck that I got 3 bad ones. If I get any more of this crap I'll definitely be switching back to Asus. I have quite a few Asus boards out there without problems. What distributer do you go through if you don't mind my asking?

Yeah I usually do that with NewEgg also. However, I've read a bit about those P5K and P5K-E boards and the issues I see on the forums and review sites are the same types of problems I see on Gigabyte boards... To a point, you get what you pay for but, you shouldn't have to pay $200 to get a 95% quality level imo.

P5B = $94.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131030

P5K = $126.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131180

To be honest, I have not seen problems on either board and they are the lowest quality boards I will go with. P5K-VM HDMI is the mATX I go with at the moment. I had issues with Gigabyte 965P-DS3 v1.0 when they first came out. Then they were not able to run Quad Core or 45nm. P5B had no such issues. That was when I decided to go with Asus. I have not been unhappy since. But I am certain there are those who have had issues and will continue to have issues with any boards. :D: I just go with what works and so far it has been ASUS. Sometimes they make a poor board such as A8N-Sli (USB flash issues blowing CMOS, etc) and when that happens, I just move to a different ASUS board very quickly. :p:

Archived