Corsair Community

Another 1GB for GA-8IPE1000 MB

AndyV

I have a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 motherboard with 1GB of RAM using "VS1GBKIT400".

I am trying to add another 1 GB using a new set of "VS1GBKIT400 G".

Memtest is showing errors with all 4 sticks installed. I have read previous posts about this memory & motherboard and saw a suggestion to try setting the DIMM voltage to +0.2V, but when I do that, memtest shows even more errors.

Should it be possible to use all 4 of these memory sticks in this motherboard? I get the impression from previous posts that it should be able to work. If so, are there other settings in the BIOS that I should try? Currently, everything is set to default w/no overclocking, etc.

I ram memtest using only the new memory & didn't see any errors, but I ony let it run for a single pass. Using only the old memory, the system has been perfectly stable for a few years & memtest also shows no errors with the original memory for more tahn a single pass of its tests.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Corsair Employees
I would test the modules one at a time to make sure one is not failing, and if they all pass then load setup defaults and set them to DDR333 at +.1 Volts and set the timings manually to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 (Cas, TRCD, TRP and TRAS)

Thanks -- that seems to be working. I started getting suspicious that I would need to try DDR333 from a little more forum searching.

All 4 sticks tested fine individually at DDR400.

I installed all 4; set BIOS to use DDR333 & +.1v; I saw no BIOS options for CAS settings, but memtest showed 2.5-3-3-7 anyway -- result: 2 passes of memtest completed successfully. I'll try running Windows this way.

I suppose if I had known better, I should have just dumped the existing memory & used two 1 GB sticks instead of adding two more. Oh well, I don't know how much difference DDR333 vs. DDR400 makes, but it is more important to have the extra memory at the moment.

That's not too bad a drop, then.

One more question, if you don't mind: for future reference, did I have to do the drop to the next lower speed (DDR333) only because I was trying to use DDR400 for 4 RAM modules, or is it likely that 4 sticks of DDR333 memory also would have required dropping to the next lower speed from that (DDR266)? i.e.: would 4 sticks of any speed need a BIOS setting to run slower?

• Corsair Employees
Its a bit of both but mostly in this case it's a chipset/Memory controller limitation. But there is more loading on the memory controller as you add more memory and its normal to have to slow the memory down with all four slots filled.

Archived