Corsair Community

smoke and burning smell!

mdbrit

I was just curious, when your PC switches off all of a sudden then you see smoke coming from the back of your machine out of the power supply (HX620W) along with a strong burning smell....is this bad?

2 months old new build. Rather disappointed, didn't expect this from Corsair and rather worrying in terms of a fire risk etc.

I presume an HX620W should be enough to handle a q6600 with 2x2gig, EVGA 8800GT on a 680i m/b with 4 HDs???

:mad:

I was just curious, when your PC switches off all of a sudden then you see smoke coming from the back of your machine out of the power supply (HX620W) along with a strong burning smell....is this bad?

2 months old new build. Rather disappointed, didn't expect this from Corsair and rather worrying in terms of a fire risk etc.

I presume an HX620W should be enough to handle a q6600 with 2x2gig, EVGA 8800GT on a 680i m/b with 4 HDs???

:mad:

yeh m8 that is really bad

Well it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies that's for sure.:sigh!:

Just a little worrying that an expensive/quality brand goes up in smoke. I was just relieved that I was there at the time to pull the plug or it may have gone up in flames!

Nope, PC just cut out suddenly, then after 10 seconds or so when I was looking around to see why it was off smoke started coming out the back of the power supply. At that point I yanked the power cord.

I'm just happy it happened when I was there. Of course, not much load on it when it's in standby, but still it's a little worrying. There was a fair bit of smoke/heat.

ramguy on here will sort you out on monday, corsair are really good with there customer service.

just hope nothing else has blown with it!

have you got an old psu available or can you borrow one

This was a new build. My old PC's don't have new enough or powerful enough supplies.

I hope Corsair support is good, that's one of the reasons I picked them. I'm not completely mad at them, these things happen. Maybe I can get one cross-shipped.

Well, even high quality units can have a bad sample now and then. You were just damn unlucky and got one. I've recommended the HX620W to lots of people which are running it with no trouble. Mine's 1 year old and doing fine.

I know of models of other brands that are considered high quality and explode a lot more often. (Won't mention names, some may guess which tho).

The other thing that worries me is that I was planning on getting another 8800GT to run in SLI mode, but that's a significant increase in load. I'm wondering if it's not suitable now.

Anyone know if my spec should be ok with a 2nd 8800GT?

• Corsair Employees
You should have no problem running your system on a HX620 even with an additional 8800GT. But first lets get you a replacement. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.” Once you submit the case, please post the case # here, I will approve it immediately and will request that we take a look at the unit.

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I realize these things happen and I'm glad I bought a Corsair for the stellar support!

thanks.

You should have no problem running your system on a HX620 even with an additional 8800GT. But first lets get you a replacement. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.” Once you submit the case, please post the case # here, I will approve it immediately and will request that we take a look at the unit.

I've also just submitted the RMA request as instructed. Is there a way to cross-ship a replacement with a credit card guarantee or something? Or is the shipping fast anyway?

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I realize these things happen and I'm glad I bought a Corsair for the stellar support!

thanks.

• Corsair Employees
I've also just submitted the RMA request as instructed. Is there a way to cross-ship a replacement with a credit card guarantee or something? Or is the shipping fast anyway?

Please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com, and they should be able to let you know what type of options are available for you.

• 4 months later...

Hey RAM GUY,

I just had the same thing happen but it would restart and my machine is now running. Is this a known issue with these p/s? Should I rma it? If yes I'd also like to cross-ship.

Installed on my HP a6235x mid August

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+

3 GB Ram

32 bit Vista

Diamond HD4850

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
Hey RAM GUY,

I just had the same thing happen but it would restart and my machine is now running. Is this a known issue with these p/s? Should I rma it? If yes I'd also like to cross-ship.

Installed on my HP a6235x mid August

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+

3 GB Ram

32 bit Vista

Diamond HD4850

Thanks

What PSU do you have, and what happened?

What PSU do you have, and what happened?

The HX620. Last night I had been gaming for about 5 minutes when it the computer spontaneously lost power (as opposed to shut down) and went completely dead. A minute or so passes and a puff of smoke (along with that lovely burnt electronics smell) comes out of the back of the power supply. The power supply at this point was only warm, not hot to the touch.

I waited about 5 minutes and pushed the power switch on the tower and everything started back up. I gamed continuously for about another three hours afterwards withtout a problem. I did shut down after that and then surfed this morning for about an hour without any further problems.

• Corsair Employees

Regardless if the system seems to be operating fine at the moment I would definitely recommend getting the unit replaced if you saw smoke coming from it.

Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

• 4 weeks later...

RAM GUY, I have had the exact situation as the first post. I have a 520HX powering a 8800GTS and a few other minor parts. Turned the computer on to find that it turned itself off. The power supply then smoked a little and began to stink up the room with the smell of burning plastic.

Should I fill out the RMA form like everyone else?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
RAM GUY, I have had the exact situation as the first post. I have a 520HX powering a 8800GTS and a few other minor parts. Turned the computer on to find that it turned itself off. The power supply then smoked a little and began to stink up the room with the smell of burning plastic.

Should I fill out the RMA form like everyone else?

Thanks!

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived