Corsair Community

Problems with Dominator 8500C5D V2.1, 2.2V

DWH

I have been running Dominator 2X2048-8500C5D, labeled as version 1.2, 2.2V spec.

With low RAM prices, I recently purchased another set of the same, which turned out to be version 2.1, 2.2V spec. From another post I believe these to be Micron chips? I wanted to upgrade to 4GB in anticipation of eventually moving to Vista 64 bit. However, I had a lot of trouble, and had to down grade the speed to DDR2-800MHz in order to get stability, and even then I have not qualified the settings with Memtest. I now see that getting 4 x 1GB micron modules to work well can be problematic.

However, what this post is really about is that I returned to 2 x 1GB modules using the new set (version 2.1, 2.2V), and their specified performance settings of DDR2-1067, 2.2V (actually set to 2.25V in the BIOS), and timings as listed below. I ran Memtest, and it threw up lots of errors at test 5. I then put the older version 1.2 modules back in at the same settings and ran through all Memtest tests twice without error. What I would like to know is does this indicate that the new modules are not performing at their advertised rating, or can I do something more?

Timings as set in the BIOS (ASUS names used):

CAS latency 5

RAS to CAS delay 5

RAS Precharge 5

RAS activate to precharge 15

Write recovery 6

Trfc 42

Trrd 11

Rank write to read delay 11

Read to precharge delay 11

Write to precharge delay 11

Any comments/recommendations appreciated.

Download Memtest Version 2.01 from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to a CD-ROM disk.

Enter your BIOS and disable USB Legacy Mode. Test the new sticks one stick at a time in the slot closest to the CPU with a boot to the Memtest v2.01 CD allowing for two full passes per stick.

Results?

Thanks. I've tried what you suggested, and sure enough both modules pass the test. They also pass as a pair, which certainly suggests the the Legacy USB option was the problem. However, I still can't get all 4 1GB modules to pass Memtest, even at 2.2V and DDR800 5,5,5,15, so now I have a spare set of RAM.

Thanks. I've tried what you suggested, and sure enough both modules pass the test. They also pass as a pair, which certainly suggests the the Legacy USB option was the problem. However, I still can't get all 4 1GB modules to pass Memtest, even at 2.2V and DDR800 5,5,5,15, so now I have a spare set of RAM.

Have you raised the MCH voltage +.2v? Remove the overclock for testing purposes and set:

JumperFree Configuration

AI Tuning = Manual

CPU Frequency = 266Mhz

DRAM Frequency = 800Mhz

PCI Express Frequency = 100Mhz

PCI Clock Synchronization Mode = 33.33Mhz

Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Memory Voltage = 2.2V

CPU Core Voltage = Auto

FSB Termination Voltage = 1.2v

NB Vcore = 1.45v

SB Vcore = Auto

ICH Chipset Voltage = Auto

Configure Advanced CPU settings

Ratio CMOS setting - 10

Intel SpeedStep Tech = Enabled

Advanced Chipset Settings

Configure DRAM by SPD = Disabled

Memory Remap Feature = Enabled

DRAM CAS# Latency = 5

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5

DRAM RAS# Precharge = 5

DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge = 15

DRAM Write Recovery = 6

DRAM TRFC = 42

DRAM TRRD = 10

Rank Write to Read Delay = 11

Read to Write Precharge Delay = 14

Write to Precharge Delay = 10

Static Read Control = Disabled

Memtest for two full passes,

Results?

EDIT: My mistake, you have Microns and Promos. The Microns do not play nice with any other DRAM IC's other than their own.

I doubt if the above will help.

Thank you both for your comments and detailed reply. I may have another go sometime, but I note DerekT's comment about the two different chip types. Do you think there is any point in selling the older modules, and seeing if I can get some more Microns from the same supplier? Would 4 Micron modules be likely to work at 1066MHz, or is it best to leave it until my next rebuild, which will be DDR3, and move to 2 x 2GB modules?

The Microns are the older modules. The version 1.xx are Micron. The version 2.xx are Promos. Very doubtful you can find these modules anymore. It's not a given that you can run any module with four and run them at the full speed. Far simpler to sell all four modules and buy 2 X 2048 of 8500C5. Then they will run at full speed and no stability issues will arise.

Thank you both for your comments and detailed reply. I may have another go sometime, but I note DerekT's comment about the two different chip types. Do you think there is any point in selling the older modules, and seeing if I can get some more Microns from the same supplier? Would 4 Micron modules be likely to work at 1066MHz, or is it best to leave it until my next rebuild, which will be DDR3, and move to 2 x 2GB modules?

• Corsair Employees
I would have to agree with DerekT for the most part, and if you do find 4 modules that match they may or they may not run 4 up if we did not test and sell them that way I am sorry but we cannot promise it will work.

Once again, thank you both for the helpful information. Being able to get this kind of support is invaluable. I can see that I either need to stick with 2GB, or sell up and move on to 2 x 2GB. At leat I've learn't something from the exercise.

Just out of interest, if I were to keep one set, and sell the other, which set would you recommend I sell?

Once again, thank you both for the helpful information. Being able to get this kind of support is invaluable. I can see that I either need to stick with 2GB, or sell up and move on to 2 x 2GB. At leat I've learn't something from the exercise.

Just out of interest, if I were to keep one set, and sell the other, which set would you recommend I sell?

I would keep the Microns. They are a far more robust DRAM IC but they do need to have good airflow on them.

Archived