Corsair Community

Dual Chanel Question for P5E3 Deluxe

mental72

Hi there

here's my question i've red that on this mother board you can run two different size memory and still get them to run in dual channel is that possible, me and one one my friend want to buy 1 set TW3X2G1600C9DHX CAS-9 and one set of TW3X4G1600C9DHX CAS-9 and take one of each so that weed end up with 3 gb of ram since the 32bit edition wont detect more then that, so if we install one 2gb and one 1gb will they run in Dual channel and is that a good option, also if we buy the 1600mhz and dont over clock our system what speed will we be getting.

Hope i made sense there, thanks in advance for your reply.

but if you look at this post read the fourth paragraph about running two different size ram in dual channel http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/490

it reads "X38 features Fast Memory Access Technology, which allows dual channel feature even if the memory modules have different capacities" i just need to know if this is false as anyone else ever seen this before.

Huh, that's a new one to me. DerekT, out of curiosity, did you run any memory bandwidth tests when trying that out?

Actually I did, but I set to 667Mhz because that's all I had for the 512MB stick. So, I dropped the bandwidth but read was in the 6,000mb/s, write in the 7,000mb/s which certainly showed Dual Channel. Let me set up and I will retest with 2 X 1024 of 8500C5's and 1 X 2048 of 8500C5's tonight. I will also test with a 1GB and a 2GB.

2048 of 1066MHz slot 1

1024 of 1066 slot 3

Fail at 1066Mhz, set to 800Mhz and pass.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/2gbplus1.jpg

Seems about the same as 2 X 1024 and 1 X 512 (667Mhz) in read/write.

So, clearly if you set a asymetric dual channel with different densities in the dual channel slots ie. Slot 1 & 3 are different densities, you need to drop the bandwidth, or at least I did.

The characteristic is independent of the DRAM type and is the same. It will work, but you will very likely have to drop your bandwidth. So if you are running 1 X 2048 of 1333 and 1 X 1024 of 1333 you will very likely have to drop to 1066 to get stability. If you are running 1666 in the same configuration, very likely you will have to drop to 1333.

Well thanks for your support

in the end i decided to fork out the extra $ and go for 4Gb of 1600mhz matched memory, i'll lose one gb in windows 32bit but hey what the heck !;):

I think that you have chosen the better route. In the long run it will be a better move. In the short run, you will have a faster system. Sooner or later you will very likely move to a 64bit OS and gain the extra GB. Your memory controller will not have to work so hard either.

Archived