Corsair Community

Q6700 OC on Rampage Formula w/ Dominator 8500

Just purchased a Q6700 from Stalliontch for $300 shipped (was looking for a Q6600 GO step) and couldn't resist the price with 10x multiplier and same bus as the Q6600. What is the likelyhood to get 400 fsb and OC to 4gh? I'm installing it on a Rampage Formula with 2 kits 8gb Dominator 8500. PSU is a PC&C 750 Quad. I'm thinkig it should work but would appreciate any thoughts or experiences.

I have had experience with four Q6700 (G0) and none of them were great overclocking chips compared with the Q6600 (G0). You will need good water cooling to get past 3.6Ghz if you are lucky to make 3.6Ghz.

If you can make 3.4+Ghz with good air cooling, then be happy. Anything higher is surely icing on the cake.

Just purchased a Q6700 from Stalliontch for $300 shipped (was looking for a Q6600 GO step) and couldn't resist the price with 10x multiplier and same bus as the Q6600. What is the likelyhood to get 400 fsb and OC to 4gh? I'm installing it on a Rampage Formula with 2 kits 8gb Dominator 8500. PSU is a PC&C 750 Quad. I'm thinkig it should work but would appreciate any thoughts or experiences.

Which I would have knowned that before I ordered it. I'm assuming that's at 340 fsb or did you lower the multiplier to more fsb?

That was at 340 as they ran pretty warm when the FSB was raised. I don't really understand why the Q6700's (G0) were less overclock friendly and hotter than their Q660 (G0) brethren.

However, I only have the ones that I have worked with and possibly you will have a different experience. Please let me know how it works out.

But even the Q6600 (G0) chips never made higher than 3.6Ghz and that was on high end air.

Derreck,

Cancelled the Q6700 and exchanged it for the Q6600. Read a few more posts where others are having issues getting above 3.4 as well. Thought others weren't purchasing it due to the higher cost and not because of OC consideration. Thanks for the heads up, saved me some potential headaches down the road.

Remaining component is the cooler. Know your exception to the Zalman and I heard another suggest the Tuniq (my original first choice). Do you have a recommendation that doesn't require a mod to fit my board or do I just make the alteration?

Keep in mind that > 3.4Ghz is still not a given.

I like the Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120 with two 120mm fans. They generate enough airflow (even on low settings) to cool the DRAM and there is no need for the 40mm DRAM fans that make so much noise. But they do work with those fans as well.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa222/Thanatos311/inside1.jpg

For the Northbridge, I like the Thermaltake Xtreme Spirit II.

http://www.maxitmag.com/images/stories/reviews/thermaltake/extreme-spirit-ii.jpg

Derreck,

Cancelled the Q6700 and exchanged it for the Q6600. Read a few more posts where others are having issues getting above 3.4 as well. Thought others weren't purchasing it due to the higher cost and not because of OC consideration. Thanks for the heads up, saved me some potential headaches down the road.

Remaining component is the cooler. Know your exception to the Zalman and I heard another suggest the Tuniq (my original first choice). Do you have a recommendation that doesn't require a mod to fit my board or do I just make the alteration?

Archived