Corsair Community

TX-750 fan speed and noise

clapton1

Hi everybody, first post here! :hihi:

I just got my new rig running a few days back.

Basically it's low-noise PC config with a couple of fanless 9600GT video cards in SLI, an NZXT Zero with pretty quiet fans, and a TX750 to run the entire thing. I figured the TX should be able to run an SLI setup of the new nVidia cards coming out later this year, so though it's overkill for my setup right now it might be a smarter choice as the HX may not have been able to run two full-size cards later, even if perfect for this setup.

In any case, I find the power supply fan annoyingly loud. When gaming or under heavy load it's understandable and acceptable as my ceiling fan is usually on at the time and drowns out the sound of the PC. But in idle mode the fan is very audible (I tried switching off all the other fans and yep, it IS the PSU fan).

And this is not 'problem' loud - no buzzing, clicking or hissing, just the sound of a big fan pushing a lot of air. I also feel the air coming out the back of the PSU is a little warmer at idle than under load, which I kind of expect with the increased dissipation at low output load.

This is not a rig I can keep on at night and sleep.

Any ideas on how I can get the fan to move a little slower, or is it set in stone?

As a desperate measure I guess I could hack into the supply and reduce the fan speed, but I wouldn't want to void the warranty so early in the game. My Antec TP480 was dead silent at low load. At full load it would make a racket, but otherwise it was quite silent.

• Corsair Employees
Yes the TX750 along with the HX1000 both use 140mm fans. Larger wattage PSUs as a whole are going to be louder than lower wattage units. The PSU should not be excessively loud, but the 750w is definitely going to be louder than our lower wattage units.

• Corsair Employees
If you can hear the PSU over the other fans in your system, then we could try getting it replaced, it shouldn't be THAT loud. And remember you have 5 years to decide if you want to get it replaced! :cool:

I never thought of that!

Yes, it is the single loudest fan in the system, and is audible from a couple of feet away where I sit. Can't notice it when my ceiling fan is on

Over here in India we have a pretty robust support system AFAIK, so maybe I'll get a replacement.

We normally get our replacements over the counter. Do I need to take an RMA ticket from you for that, or will the shop handle it for me? In cases of most brands the store handles warranty for all products/brands.

I never thought of that!

Yes, it is the single loudest fan in the system, and is audible from a couple of feet away where I sit. Can't notice it when my ceiling fan is on

Over here in India we have a pretty robust support system AFAIK, so maybe I'll get a replacement.

We normally get our replacements over the counter. Do I need to take an RMA ticket from you for that, or will the shop handle it for me? In cases of most brands the store handles warranty for all products/brands.

If a product is faulty, the replacement comes from Corsair, as far as I know.

The store will contact Corsair for you, since they are retailers for Corsair.

Archived