Corsair Community

Asus P5K Premium and Dominator...help!

Attermire

Hi, I have a problem, i have 2gb of corsair dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D

i have configured it in bios and it does boot up after that,

however after the pc has been switched off for a peroid of a few hours, (like overnight)

the pc won't boot again, i have to power off, then the pc comes back showing

800mhz ram at post, and beeps for f1 saying overclocking has failed (?)

if i enter bios and press f10 the system restarts and boots in 1066mhz again (??)

this is very annoying having to do this every time i want my pc, please help!

according to the manual, this ram is supposed to be supported, and yes

the ram is at 2.2v 5 5 5 15.

• 2 months later...

Do not set any overclocking.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk

Enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before.

Set to these values:

MB Intelligent Tweaker (MIT)

HT Frequency : Auto

K8 CPU Clock Ratio : Set to 200

DDR Clock/Timing Ratio : Set to 400

CPU Spread Spectrum : Enabled

PCI-e Clock : 100Mhz

Robust Graphics Booster : Auto

CPU Voltage Control : Auto

Chipset core PCI-E Voltage : Normal

HT-Link voltage Control : Normal

DDR voltage control : +0.3V

Top Performance : Disable

Shut the system down. Insert the first stick in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) Insert the second stick in Slot 3. You should have one stick in Slot 1 and one in Slot 3. Run Memtest for two full passes.

Results?

• Corsair Employees
You can get the detailed settings from the link in my signature and make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

well there's no errors with memtest at all,

i'm putting the pc to sleep instead of shutting it down, that means i can have the pc next time instead of entering bios and changing settings,

it's funny how one set of bios settings that booted the pc last time,

won't work after the power has gone down for 4 hours or more, i have to alter the settings every time.

• 2 weeks later...

OK i've used memtest.org 2.1 with 1 module installed, and legacy usb disabled, each module has had several passes overnight, no errors,

I shut down the pc to reset the boot parameters to allow me to boot

off HDD, everything in bios was set to 'auto' when i inserted both modules again,

the board's CPR function triggered and informed me that 'overclocking failed' (!)

after severeal restarts and bios twiddling, i managed to get it to boot up at 1066 mhz again, but

having to put the PC to 'sleep' because if i power down the CPR

function tells me overclocking failed again, and i'm back into BIOS again,

I always thought Asus made good motherboards : /

it behaves the same way with a generic 450w PSU,

looking at these forums, Asus and Dominator just don't go together,

annoying considering the outlay,

Asus' tech support are pathetic, all they said was use a different brand of ram.

• Corsair Employees
It sounds like that is a MB problem and changing the BIOS settings will not damage the MB just reset or clear the BIOS with the Clear C-Mos jumper on the MB to bring it back to default.

It sounds like that is a MB problem and changing the BIOS settings will not damage the MB just reset or clear the BIOS with the Clear C-Mos jumper on the MB to bring it back to default.

so should i still send the ram back for RMA? this problem has been ongoing for months now, i know from reading other complaints that Asus will return my board, having tested it with 800mhz generic ram, and say it's ok,

memtest showed 0 errors with 15 passes with each module on it's own,

i get the odd application stalling in Vista, and 'memory could not be read/written' crashes,

both the board and ram weren't cheap, and i really expected them to work out of the box, with no BIOS adjustments

I'm thinking of reporting Asus to UK trading standards, for violating the trades

descriptions act, as my ram model is clearly listed on the motherboard manual

(Asus P5K Premium black pearl edition) page 2-15

manual downloadable from here

I just wish somebody would step up to the plate regarding the architectural

mishaps between these 2 products, as with my next upgrade I'd rather avoid the hassle of mixing these 2 brands, no offence intended, but I've reached

the end of my tether after all the trouble this issue has caused me, I'll probably end up Ebaying one or both parts so i can have a normally working PC again,

I do really appreciate the help I've recieved here though guys, It

puts Asus' to shame.

• 3 weeks later...

Will my modules be exchanged for a kit that's proven to work

in an Asus P5K premium motherboard? i only bought these modules

because they were in the Asus manual, and they don't work at all

unless you are prepared to reboot and enter bios several times every session,

i only want a replacement if they boot 1st time out of the box, with

no bios tinkering, like any other brand of this caliber,

if not i'd rather just ebay these and carry on with the generic (although 800mhz) 2Gb

kit i have now.

• Corsair Employees
All modules are tested on a MB at the rated settings of the modules and there is no issue with that MB that I know of that has not been resolved with a BIOS update, so make sure that you have the latest BIOS and load setup defaults and then set the tested settings for the modules should be all you have to do, if you still have some problem I would RMA the MB.

Archived