Corsair Community

450W VX gets quite hot during games- Sufficient air flow?

kirbsmeister

The title says most of what I'm asking. I'm a bit of a noob so bear with me. During games the PSU gets quite hot (feeling from the outside). I should also point that there's not much air flowing out of it, although I don't know if there's exactly meant to be loads of air gushing out of it. The PSU doesn't seem to get noticably loader (fan-wise), so is this a sign that it's sufficiently cool for PSU standards?

I have an exaust fan at the bottom of the PC, which I think could be sucking all of the air out, leaving little air for the PSU to suck in? Should I crack open one of the plates at the back to provide an air source for the PSU (if there actually is a problem).

Many thanks!

• Corsair Employees
What type of video card and case do you have? One thing to try would be to mount the PSU outside of the case, hook it up to your system and see if it is still getting excessively hot. If so, then we would want to get it replaced, however if it is only heating up when mounted inside your case, you may need to look into more sufficient cooling for your system. How are the other temps in your system?

I have a XFX geforce 9600 gt extreme edition graphics card, and a standard compaq presario case (which has relatively decent ventilation btw). The graphics card doesn't exceed 65 deg C. The graphics card is the closest component to the power supply, the CPU and ram are low down and in line with the exause fan and don't seem to stand a chance of overheating. I don't have software to monitor any temps other than the Graphics card at the moment.

I may try the PSU out of the case when I have the time. But would it have the same effect to try removing the side pannel when it gets hot and seeing if it cools? (I know you're not really meant to remove the side pannel. But I haven't overclocked any of the system, so I doubt it'll bust into flames the second the air flow changes?

Thanks,

• Corsair Employees
I think that testing the PSU outside the case would be the best way to test. That way you will be able to tell if the PSU is getting hot on its own, or if there is something within the system which is causing it to get abnormally hot. If you have the same results with the PSU outside of the case, then we will want to get it replaced!

Sorry, but I still don't have time to take out the PSU, but I might have tried something that renders that test unnecessary anyway:

I tried playing the games with the side pannel off, to ensure that the PSU have perfect access to air all the time. Feeling the PSU, I don't think it was getting hot. I mean, it was slightly warm, but that's to be expected when you're putting some strain on it, right? There still wasn't gallons of air coming out, but I assume this is normal for a silent PSU.

It would seem that the problem is air access and (assuming it's normal for the PSU to get a bit warm during games) not a fault with the PSU. It would probably be an idea to remove one of the back plates near the PSU so it can draw air in from there.

Does that all sound in order? Cheers.

Standard Compaq Presario case (modded a pre-built system). In terms of fans I've got the CPU fan, PSU fan, and an exaust fan on the back of the case. I've removed a plate from the case and so far the PSU hasn't become excessively hot. I'll post when I've tried a bit more, but it seems the problem was just making more air available. Thanks for your help! :biggrin:

• Corsair Employees
I'm not sure what your case looks like, but if you can add an intake fan, that would definitely help. The Compaq case is probably not designed to move enough air to help keep an aftermarket CPU and video card at reasonable temperature, but it sounds like you are getting a little bit better airflow now.

Hi, sorry to keep asking questions but I've found something that seems unusual to me. With the side pannel open, if I feel under the PSU, I notice that it's blowing warm air into the computer. I'm pretty sure the PSU's meant to suck air out of the computer not in, right? The PSU is mounted in the horizontal position, with the interior fan pointing downwards. Can the fans ever be mounted back to front during the PSU's construction? Is this normal? Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
Hold your hand behind the supply and you should feel warm air being expelled out of the rear of the PSU. The air that you feel beneath the fan may be from air that has bounced off of the roof of the PSU and come back down, although most of the air should be coming out of the rear.

Archived