Corsair Community

MSI 845PE (MS-6580 v2.x) & TWINX1024-2700LL

bjohnson

MSI 845PE (MS-6580 v2.x) - 2 DIMM slots Intel P4 2.4GHz To date, I have been using a single stick of Nanya PC2700U 512MB. It's been working fine but I wanted to upgrade to 1GB so I just purchased the Corsair TWINX1024-2700LL. I stick the Corsair memory modules in and the machine will not POST. Here are the scenarios I have tried to date: DDR1 = DDR slot1 DDR2 = DDR slot2 TWINX1 = TWINX module 1 TWINX2 = TWINX module 2 DDR1 = TWINX1/DDR2 = TWINX2 -> won't POST DDR1 = TWINX1/DDR2 = *Empty* -> Boots with 512MB of memory DDR1 = TWINX2/DDR2 = *Empty* -> Boots with 512MB of memory DDR1 = *Empty*/DDR2 = TWINX1 -> won't POST DDR1 = *Empty*/DDR2 = TWINX2 -> won't POST DDR1 = *Empty*/DDR2 = Nanya -> Boots with 512MB of memory DDR2 = Nanya/DDR2 = *Empty* -> Boots with 512MB of memory DDR1 = TWINX1/DDR2 = Nanya -> Boots with 1GB of memory DDR1 = TWINX2/DDR2 = Nanya -> Boots with 1GB of memory DDR1 = Nanya/DDR2 = TWINX1 -> won't POST DDR1 = Nanya/DDR2 = TWINX2 -> won't POST These are my current Latency and Voltage settings. I am not overclocking. CAS # LAT = 2.5 RAS # Precharge = 3 RAS # to CAS # Delay = 3 Precharge Delay = 7 Burst Length = 4 DDR Power Voltage = 2.5V Any ideas why I can't get the TWINX modules to work together?

First raise the RAM voltage up some, up to but not over 2.8v. Then reset your CMOS clock aka RTC. I don't know what MSI calls it but it's resetting the bios. Then, try to boot and get stable with only 1 stick of the Corsair RAM. If you have success, add the 2nd stick and see what happens. Mike.

Thanks specmike. I raised the voltage to 2.7 and 2.8 without success. I have not reset the BIOS yet. Not quite sure how to do that yet but am researching it. :o: Would flashing the BIOS accomplish the same thing? I can boot on 1 stick of Corsair even at 2.5 V but only in slot1. Can't do it in slot2 with either module. However, the Nanya module works fine in slot2.

I think I need to resolve the following before I can even consider interoperability between the matched pair.... As you all know, I bought the TWINX1024-2700LL. If I understand correctly this is really a matched pair of CMX512-2700LL modules. If I take [U]one[/U] of these CMX512-2700LL modules and insert it into slot1, my machine boots with 512MB of RAM. If I take the same CMX512-2700LL module and insert it into slot2, my machine will not even POST. By this I mean the PC powers on for about 10 seconds and then shuts off. If I take my old Nanya PC2700U memory module and stick it into slot2, my machine boots just fine with 512MB of RAM. I have recently updated my BIOS to the latest level and "Cleared the CMOS" during the flash process. Problem persists. I'm getting desperate. :confused:

• Corsair Employees
You would really need to try some of the things suggested by Specmike, I would try the modules one at a time and then load setup defaults in the bios setup and test them with [url]www.memtest.org[/url].

Archived