Corsair Community

Corsair USB drives = crap

pbajoe

Bought the 1.0G Corsair Voyager USB drive about 2 years ago or so. Worked fine for a couple months. One day I typed up a paper for class on my lunch break at work, saved it to the Voyager, got home and the drive was corrupted (It says its write protected). Ended up losing the paper and when someone is working full time and going to college full time with a family, there's little time to re-do anything. Had to send the drive in for replacement.

Replacement drive has been ok. The directory has corrupted twice on me since but I don't keep anything that I don't have a copy of. Plus I've picked up 3 new USB thumb drives since (Kingston and Samsung) and they all work like champs.

Just yesterday used the Voyager at home to save a file to it. Got to work to look for the file "The drive you insterted is not formatted". Unsuccessful at retrieving anything and now the thing says it is write protected. HP Tool doesn't work. Corsair recovery doesn't work either. Guess this drive is going in the trash and I'll never buy another Corsair product again.

Like the title says.... crap. Quality needs to improve greatly before I'd consider another Corsair purchase.

** Steps down off soapbox **.

• Corsair Employees

Can you tell me the make and model of the systems you are using? I have seem this be more prone to happen with some OEM systems especially when using the front USB port. We tested some DELL systems and a Few others and found that many of them were under volting on the front USB ports and that may cause that type of issue. Our Flash drives require 5.0 Volts at 500Mamps, if there is some issue with one of the systems it may make that more prone to happen.

However I would suggest we get it replaced again, and I would suggest contacting our customer service and let them know you just got it back and what the previous RMA was. 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0".

I do use them on Dell Systems and other systems too. Why would they work sometimes and then not another? I would think logically if power to the USB port were the issue they wouldn't work at all.

Thanks for the reply but I'm figuring I should look at a 4GB or 8GB unit at this point.

Some of the OEM's will as I have seen not provide enough power and if they are not providing the minimum its not they will not work it is the results will be unpredictable. Or like you have seen sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. But that is just a symptom of that problem, and not the only issue that it could be. I would try it in another system and use the port that is directly on the MB and see if you still have the problem. At any rate Ram Guy suggested you contact their customer service to get it replaced most likely at their expense, so I would try that as well.

Good luck with it what ever happens.

Archived