Corsair Community

Memory Errors in Windows XP

hannesdp

Dear Sir / Madam, System (all new and latest bios/ updates or drivers installed): Asus k8v deluxe motherboard Amd 64 3200 CPU Corsair TwinX 1024 – 3200LL Pro Ati Radeon 9600 XT with 256Mb ram Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Seagate SATA 160 Gig HDD Windows XP SP1 I am having several problems with my system and I think it is memory related. I had dissasterous crashes when setting the Cmos settings to the recommended timings for the memory. Now everyting is set to Auto, but I am still having problems with Windows XP. E.G: Whenever I try to access the Windows Help File (or any other Help File) I get a message : “The instruction at 0X65e3328d referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be written.” Other programs that give a smiliar message includes Sisoft Sandra, Creative MediaSource. This problem also happens unexpectedly in other programs. Questions: 1. Should Master ECC be enabled/ Disabled in the Cmos? (I tried both, but still get the same results). 2. If enabled what should the settings be for: 2.1 DRAM ECC (enabled/disabled) 2.2 L2 Cache BG Scrub (Disabled/ 40ns,80ns,160ns, 320ns,640ns,1.28us,2.56us, 5.12us,10.2us, 20.5us, 41.ous, 81.9us, 163.8us, 327.7us, 655.4us, 1.31ms 2.62ms, 5.24ms, 10.49ms, to 84ms) 2.3 Data Cache BG Scrub (Disabled/ 40ns to 84ms) 2.4 DRAM BG Scrub (Disabled/ 40ns to 84.00ms) 2.5 DRAM Scrub Redirect (Disabled/ enabled) 2.6 ECC chip kill (Disabled/ enabled) I am not a computer expert, please bear this in mind with your suggestions. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
The memory you have is NON-ECC so that option should be disabled. Please use slots 1 & 3 for the memory in that board. You can test the modules with Memtest86 ([url]www.memtest.org[/url]). If you have any errors please let me know. Thanks!

[quote name='RAM GUY']The memory you have is NON-ECC so that option should be disabled. Please use slots 1 & 3 for the memory in that board. You can test the modules with Memtest86 ([url]www.memtest.org[/url]). If you have any errors please let me know. Thanks![/QUOTE] Thanks Ram Guy for your speedy reply. Slots 1 and 3 used. I have run memtest v3.1 and in test 3 it gave me 1 error (failed address : 00036a676fc 874.4mb bad: fdfdfd7d errorbits 00000080). In test 5 there were 2224 errors, too many too list, so I will just mention one (failed address: 00037e3c148 894.7mb bad: cfffffff errorbits: 20000000). I resetted some of my cmos settings, instead of auto for everything i have now changed it to: cas latency: 3 trcd: 3 trp: 2 tras: 6 (all other settings auto) ddr voltage: 2.7 No CPU overclocking set to : 200 I have also reset my Performance settings under Windows System/ Advance/Performance to: "let Windows handle what is best for you" and reset the Pagefile.sys to 0, then rebooted and reset the Pagefile to windows reccommend settings. Memory allocation was set to Programs and not System Cache. After all that I do not get the Windows Error message. I will monitor the situation as I think this is temporalily. I also downloaded the Jet 4.0 Service pack 8 for Windows XP and the Mdac drivers. This seems to solve the problems I had with Sisoft Sandra and Creative Mediasource. Does all the errors in test 3 and 5 mean that my memory is bad? As mentioned before I am living in South Africa and bought the system on a recent trip to Hong Kong. I am unable to contact the reseller. I have read in another thread that someone do not reccomend this LL memory for this board. Which memory should I have got? Thanks again.

• Corsair Employees
The LL modules have no problems with that board. They are the best choice for it. The rated timings of those modules are: SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T DIMM Voltage: 2.7X I would suggest testing the modules with Memtest86 ([url]www.memtest.org[/url]). If you find errors please let me know. Thanks!

Archived