Corsair Community

GigaByte GA-8KNXP and 6 DIMMs

mcomperda

I posted this in another thread, but it is buried at the bottom and is unrelated to the original topic, so I am reposting it here. I just purchased a GA-8KNXP rev 2.0. I was planning to go with the following RAM configuation: Dimms 1&4 and 2&5: Corsair XMS PC 3200 512MB DIMMs (just purchased) Dims 3&6: Kingston PC 3200 512 MB DIMMs (from old system) What I found in the motherboard manual though really disturbed me. It states that in order to utilize all 6 DIMMs you must use single side RAM in DIMM slots 2&5 and 3&6 and either double or single side in slots 1&4. Single side RAM, as far as I know, is only available in 256MB or smaller DIMMs - not to mention that fact that I just bought 2GB of new RAM intent on having 3GB total (for a RAM drive). Is the manual correct in this? Is there anyway around it? Many thanks in advance.

I don't know of any way around this. The bottom line is that the chipset used on that MOBO can only access so many banks (sides) of RAM. I'm guessing by your post and what my 875 based MOBOs will allow that the system can address 8 banks. For some silly reason, Gigabyte put 6 memory slots on that MOBO and only after you read the fine print do you discover that you can only use them all under limited circumstances. The only way I can see to get more than 2gb of RAM into that system would be to use some of the newer 1gb modules. Good luck, Mike.

[quote name='specmike']I don't know of any way around this. The bottom line is that the chipset used on that MOBO can only access so many banks (sides) of RAM. I'm guessing by your post and what my 875 based MOBOs will allow that the system can address 8 banks. For some silly reason, Gigabyte put 6 memory slots on that MOBO and only after you read the fine print do you discover that you can only use them all under limited circumstances. The only way I can see to get more than 2gb of RAM into that system would be to use some of the newer 1gb modules. Good luck, Mike.[/QUOTE] It was silly of them, to say the least. I'd have to buy: 2 x 1GB Double Side DIMMs 4 x 256 MB Single Side DIMMs Given that I just purchased four 512 MB DIMMs, and would be charged a 15% re-stocking fee to exchange then, it looks like I am out of luck.

Probably the best idea with what you have would be to save the Kingston for another system or sell the Kingston. The same RAM in 4 slots is most likely your most stable setup. But, you could always install all 6 DIMMs and see what happens. Good luck, Mike.

[quote name='specmike']Probably the best idea with what you have would be to save the Kingston for another system or sell the Kingston. The same RAM in 4 slots is most likely your most stable setup. But, you could always install all 6 DIMMs and see what happens. Good luck, Mike.[/QUOTE] Well, I tested it with all 6 RAM modules - it only reads the first 2 sets (slots 1&4, 2&5) as you predicted. It just assumes that RAM slots 3&6 are empty. I will more than likely just swallow my pride and stick with 2 GB of system RAM. It's just very frustrating to have spent a great deal of money on a motherboard - specifically because it has 6 DIMM slots - and not be able to even use them. I could have saved money AND gotten a better board (The ABIT IS7-G for example) had I know this... I guess you live and learn.

[quote name='mcomperda']I could have saved money AND gotten a better board (The ABIT IS7-G for example) had I know this... I guess you live and learn.[/QUOTE] Well, now that you have an extra gig of RAM lying around, there's always eBay. Or even better, since you have RAM, you can now justify building another computer :eek: It would be a shame to let that extra RAM lay around and rot. Mike.

Archived