Corsair Community

Will the HX620W be enough for the PC I'm building?

behemothzero

Hello guys, this is my first time posting here.

My current PC is five years old (with some parts only three - see my specs), and since I just graduated, I thought I might buy myself a nice new PC. I chose the Corsair HX620W for my PSU, but I'm not sure if it'll be able to support my PC since this is the first one I'm going to build (the shop built my current one when we bought it).

Processor: Core 2 Duo E8400

Motherboard: XFX 680i LT SLi

GPU: 2x GeForce 8800GTS 512

RAM: 4*2GB ******** DDR2 800 (Would've chosen Corsair but the shop wasn't selling 2GB modules, and I wanted to get everything from the same shop for a discount)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA

PSU: Corsair HX620W

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

ODD: Lite-On 20x DVD-RW

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS 9700NT

I'm only getting two of the four sticks of RAM and one video card when I initially buy and just upgrade with the other sticks and video card in the future. I was reading reviews on Newegg and other sites about the HX620W, some of them even having an OCed C2Q and 8800GTXes in SLi, but I would still like to directly ask here if it would suffice. I will not overclock the GPUs, but I might overclock the CPU.

If the PSU will support the above specs, will it still have room for more SATA drives? I will most probably not be using any other hardware, maybe except for a sound card and/or a TV tuner if I save enough money, and a few small USB devices like flash drives.

Lastly, not really a PSU question, but from what I've seen, that motherboard only allows two more fan headers on the board itself, while the case has four built-in. Can I use some sort of splitter to allow all four built-in fans to be used? They use 4-pin molex connectors, by the way.

Thanks for the help.

I was reading reviews on Newegg and other sites about the HX620W, some of them even having an OCed C2Q and 8800GTXes in SLi, but I would still like to directly ask here if it would suffice. I will not overclock the GPUs, but I might overclock the CPU.

Yes, the HX620 will provide enough power. The 8800GTS uses less power than the 8800GTX.

If the PSU will support the above specs, will it still have room for more SATA drives?

Yes.

Lastly, not really a PSU question, but from what I've seen, that motherboard only allows two more fan headers on the board itself, while the case has four built-in. Can I use some sort of splitter to allow all four built-in fans to be used? They use 4-pin molex connectors, by the way.

The HX620 comes with a total of 10 4-pin molex/perpheral connectors and 2 12V fan only connectors. If you need adapters then you can use this one.

Archived