Corsair Community

TX750W +5V rail unstable

kleefarr

Hi,

I bought a TX750W PSU about 5 months ago and I have not be able to get a stable system running since I installed it?

I noticed today, while viewing the MSI PC4Alert that the +5V is very unstable and think this may be the problem or associated problem that is causing my system to lock up or reboot occasionally. I say occasionally, because most of the time I can browse the net and check emails and stuff, but when I try any more demanding it seems to happen and I get no response from anything so have to power off via the 4 sec power button method.

What does an unstable +5V rail problem suggest? Is it that the PSU may be faulty or is it something more serious?

Is this TOO GOOD for my set up? (If there is such a thing.)

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

Kevin

You could have an unstable system unrelated to a psu. Can you run Prime95 for 24 hours without an error/lockup/reboot?

Testing your power supply with software will typically give incorrect readings. So although the monitoring software may look fancy and appear to be intricate in its function, it really can't be considered a valuable diagnostic tool.

Read more...

Articles :: Power Supplies 101: A comprehensive guide :: Motherboards.org

• Corsair Employees
One quick question.

Should I run the Blend setting or Small FFTs or In-Place FFTs.

Run the Blend test. Before the PRIME test you may want to do a quick memtest to make sure you are not getting any errors in there. You can get memtest v2.01 from http://www.memtest.org. If you are getting errors in memtest, then there could be an issue with your memory, motherboard, or possibly your CPU.

OK.

I have run Memtest86+ V2.01 a few times now and it has been locking up but not showing any errors. Now this could be just the computer locking up as it did before and not letting Memtest finish the job.

I don't think that it's worth trying the Prime95 test at all yet is?

I check the PC Health option in BIOS and funnily enough the voltage in there is a steady 5.05V or thereabouts.

So I guess that leaves me with the PSU, CPU and motherboard.

I have a multimeter so will check the 5V rail when I get a chance and post the results. While I'm at it I may as well reseat everything and redo the thermal paste on the cpu/heatsink. CPU fan is running at a constant 2481 RPM and the CPU temp is also constant at 35C while idling.

Anything else?

Kevin

• Corsair Employees
If memtest is locking up then I would recommend testing the memory modules one at a time. If only one of the modules causes the lock up, and the other one completes a full pass, then you have found your culprit. If you have a multimeter, then I would suggest that you test each rail just to be sure everything is within spec.

This morning removed everything from the case and connected CPU/Fan and CDROM.

Checked both modules with Memtest86+ V2.07. Used both slots alternately and still getting lock up.

I have the Multimeter connected all the time and occasionally I'm getting the fluctuations on the 5V rail.

:(:

This morning removed everything from the case and connected CPU/Fan and CDROM.

Checked both modules with Memtest86+ V2.07. Used both slots alternately and still getting lock up.

In that case you may want to consider loading your motherboard bios defaults and test again. If you still lock up I'd try relaxing the memory timings and/or increasing the cpu voltage .05V.

I have the Multimeter connected all the time and occasionally I'm getting the fluctuations on the 5V rail.

:(:

ATX spec allows ±5%, so if your readings are between 4.75V to 5.25V you should be fine. Corsair is typically within 3% or better.

In that case you may want to consider loading your motherboard bios defaults and test again.

Tried that and got a lock up again after a few minutes. On restarting I got a siren (two tone) warning beep/alarm. (First ever)

With regard to the fluctuating 5V. When it does happen it fluctuates rapidly between 4.5V and 5.09V all over the shop really. I have noticed when I put my ear close to the PSU that there is a humming coming from inside that sounds like high voltage humming. Is this normal?

I haven't done the memory timings or CPU voltage.

The memory timings are on Auto what should I try first?

Not sure how to change the CPU voltage.

Getting bit peed off, may just get a new motherboard just so I can at least rule that out or not. :[pouts:

Kevin

Would just like to thank EliteKiller and Ram Guy for your help.

I have checked out the RMA options Ram Guy.

Postage to return the unit is working out as $75 registered post. :eek:

It doesn't matter if I send it to USA or the Netherlands as was suggested, the price is the same.

I have opted to RMA the unit via the original place of purchase which won't cost me anywhere near as much. Sorry if this has messed you around.

Once again, many thanks.

I'll let you know how it goes with the new PSU.

Regards,

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Got new PSU today.

Have been running Prime95 for a couple of hours...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b347/KBL007/VoltageresultswhileusingPrime95.jpg?t=1209493465

So far so good. :D:

(I am using a different motherboard for this test. Will try the other motherboard in a few days.)

Archived