Corsair Community

OC'ing CM2X1024-6400C4 on Asus P5K

Hey guys, I overclocked my system when I first got it, and then I saw a post somewhere that said to check the memory settings because the mobo will most likly not be giving it the power it deserves.

System:

Asus P5K mobo (FSB upped to 385)

Intel duel core E6750 (upped to 3.08Ghz)

8800GTS

2 1 gig cards CM2X1024-6400C4

Vista-64

I upped the DRAM voltage to 2.1V which is apparently what Corsair reccomends for this memory. And I lowered the timming to 4-4-4-12. Since I upped my FSB from 333->385 I have the DRAM Frequency at DDR2-770Mhz, which is the lowest option possible, this is giving me a 1:1 ratio according to CPUz meaning I have no multiplier right? So I'm running my memory at 385Mhz twice giving me under 800Mhz? The next option for DRAM Frequency is like 930Mhz, would that be too much? Is there anything you see so far that I can up? Or something I'm missing all together?

*Edit* - also my VCore is at 1.36V when idleing but when I ran OCCT the voltage dropped to 1.30V should I set VCore manually to 1.35? 1.36? Also OCCT said my CPU was getting too hot so I'm backing my FSB down to 355 and also I upped my DRAM Frequency up to 852.

I would set your DRAM higher. That DRAM should be able to make ~1000Mhz with 5-5-5-12 at 2.1v.

Set your DRAM Strapping to 266Mhz and your DRAM to 965Mhz. Then increase your FSB incrementally (5Mhz, 5Mhz, 5Mhz) Test each time with Memtest allowing for two full passes. This will give you 400 X 8 ~=3.2Ghz and a 1000Mhz DRAM speed with 5-5-5-12 2T(Command Rate) at 2.1v.

This is what I would try with your system.

Regarding your voltage dropping. Two characteristics are necessary to regard. One is Voltage Drop (VDrop), the other is Voltage Droop (VDrooop). VDrop is the difference between your BIOS set voltage and the voltage shown in Windows. VDroop is the difference between the voltage in Windows and the voltage in Windows when under a full load. For example, I have a BIOS Vcore set to 1.35v (Xeon 3110). In Windows is it 1.344v (VDrop = 1.35 - 1.344 = 0.006v). When I run to full load the voltage Droop is 1.330v (Vdroop = 1.344 - 1.330 = 0.014v.

Now it depends on how you look at this characteristic. Vdroop is a good thing for a system that will not be overclocked as it allows a system to run cooler and works well with the "Multiple VID" of the CPU.

Intel and AMD Processors for some time now have carried a technological enhancement called "Multiple VID". Multiple VID (Voltage IDentification)is a Code Set Instruction for raising and lowering Processor Core Voltages [utilizing a 6-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC) for Intel and a 5-bit DAC for AMD] housed in the CPU. This DAC uses a VID-code provided by the CPU to program the desired CPU core voltage. Thus the regulated output voltage can be dynamically adjusted by changing the VID-code "on the fly" and giving a "boost' to the core voltage when needed or dropping it when not needed. This helps to keep the processor cooler as lower voltages usually equal lower processor operating temperatures.

So the Vdroop works with the Speed Step and helps to keep the system stable while not working at high system requirements.

For the overclocker, the Vdroop is not such a good thing, as it take away the ability of the overclocker to find the sweet spot between lowest voltage and highest overclock. Finding a way (pencil modification, pot modification) to stabilize the Vdroop means that you will be able to use a lower voltage to gain the overclock stability.

So, for the great majority of people who use their system's non overclocked, the Vdroop is a good thing. For the overclocker, it is another barrier to overcome.

D

Hey guys, I overclocked my system when I first got it, and then I saw a post somewhere that said to check the memory settings because the mobo will most likly not be giving it the power it deserves.

System:

Asus P5K mobo (FSB upped to 385)

Intel duel core E6750 (upped to 3.08Ghz)

8800GTS

2 1 gig cards CM2X1024-6400C4

Vista-64

I upped the DRAM voltage to 2.1V which is apparently what Corsair reccomends for this memory. And I lowered the timming to 4-4-4-12. Since I upped my FSB from 333->385 I have the DRAM Frequency at DDR2-770Mhz, which is the lowest option possible, this is giving me a 1:1 ratio according to CPUz meaning I have no multiplier right? So I'm running my memory at 385Mhz twice giving me under 800Mhz? The next option for DRAM Frequency is like 930Mhz, would that be too much? Is there anything you see so far that I can up? Or something I'm missing all together?

*Edit* - also my VCore is at 1.36V when idleing but when I ran OCCT the voltage dropped to 1.30V should I set VCore manually to 1.35? 1.36? Also OCCT said my CPU was getting too hot so I'm backing my FSB down to 355 and also I upped my DRAM Frequency up to 852.

Thxs for the reply. I havn't had the oppertunity to look into it, in fact, I've lower my OC a little more until I can get sufficent cooling.

Question: What exactly is the DRAM Strapping. Currently I'm set to auto, does that mean that my frequency between my north and south bridge is going to be determined by my FSB? By adjusting the strapping is that allowing me to adjust my DRAM Frequency to set intervals independent from my FSB?

For cooling I'm going to replace the two 120mm fans my case came with, add a 120mm to the front, and replace the CPU duct thing with an 80mm fan. Gunna replace the cpu heatsink/fan combo for a nice big heatsink and have the 80mm fan that will be directly above the heatsink act as the fan, with a nice powerful 120mm fan behind the heatsink. I can't decide if I want the 120mm fan in the back to be blowing air onto the heatsink and the 80mm as the exhaust or vise-versa. Same with the other 120mm side and the 120mm front.... I know thats a hard picture to paint but any thoughts? Also does anyone know of a good heatsink that will bolt on nicly preferably with out having to remove the mobo? I was looking at this one which claims to cool the mobo around the cpu, I guess it does this by making as much contact as possible with the board, but it would definently require me to remove the mobo from the case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103026

This one looks easy to bolt on directly to the board and if positioned right my 120mm fan could blow right through it which would be nice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109127

As for the VDrop/VDroop I guess I shud try setting my voltage to a set amount and see what the VDrop is, but my current VDroop is 0.05 which seems excessive, I'll see if taking it off auto will help with that, but again that will have to wait til I get more sufficent cooling.

Question: What exactly is the DRAM Strapping.

I assume you mean the FSB Strap. DRAM is passive. The FSB Strap can be considered as a a "Starting Mark or Set Point" and Ratio between the FSB and the Memory.

A lower FSB strap will allow you to push the cpu farther by increasing the FSB. While a Higher Strap will allow your RAM to run much faster. The art is to marry the two for the fastest stable overclock.

The FSB Strap will specify latencies for the NB to run at the set strap levels, meaning if you are using the 1333Mhz (333) FSB Strap, then you will run with more lax timings than if you were using the the 1066Mhz (266) FSB Strap. For example

Given: An E8400 that has a default multiplier of 8.

The default multiplier, divide it by the multiplier you set, and then multiply it by the FSB you set. This gives you get the Northbridge chipset clock.

so 8/8 x 400 = for 400 mhz or 1600 mhz on the chipset clock.

Now lower the multiplier to 7, and stability should change cause your stressing the chipset even more since 8/7 x 400 = 457 mhz or 1829 mhz on the chipset clock. And all you did was change the multiplier. Thus the default multiplier is the less stressful multiplier to use, but it's also the most limiting in most cases, since its often far easier to do run with 7 x 500 than 8 x 500.

Research:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128913

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=30

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/145468-intel-overclocking-redefined-interesting-p965-975x.html

Currently I'm set to auto, does that mean that my frequency between my north and south bridge is going to be determined by my FSB? By adjusting the strapping is that allowing me to adjust my DRAM Frequency to set intervals independent from my FSB?

Yes, the DRAM ratio will change due to strapping.

Archived