Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200LLPRO Fails SPD Rating - No Overclock

xhackr

I'm a bit confused and certainly disappointed. Sandra benchmarks are far below what they should be. The system will not boot even to the BIOS at the rated timings. This system is unstable at even a modest 10% overclock. Solid airflow and good cooling in the case. < 38C case temp. Any comments or thoughts are appreciated. First the system: P4P800 DLX BIOS-1016 P4-3.0c D1-9 Retail Box TWINX1024-3200LLPRO WD 200GB 7200 WD2000JD SATA BFG GeForce FX 5700 Ultra ANTEC TRUEBLUE 480 Now the issues: Using memtest-86 3.1 1. Stable 200FSB 1:1 1.55 Vcore 2.55 Vdimm 1.5 Vagp MAM Enabled 2. Unstable 220FSB 1:1 1.60 Vcore 2.85 Vdimm 1.6 Vagp MAM and SS disabled 3. SPD configures this as 2.5-3-2-6 rather than the rated and "SPD programmed" 2.0-3-2-6. 4. Setting all BIOS defaults except manual timing to 2.0-3-2-6 - will not boot even to BIOS. 5. Setting all Bios Defaults, Sandra benches at 4306 MB/s. Sandra's benchmark for the 865PE 2xPC3200 is 4888 MB/s.

• Corsair Employees
220 FSB is a bit much for those modules. I would suggest upping the FSB slowly and testing with Memtest86 ([url]www.memtest.org[/url]) until you find the roof. Please make sure that the Performance Mode is set to Standard. If the BIOS is having a problem reading the SPD I would suggest clearing the CMOS or loading setup defaults and starting over with the BIOS settings. If you continue to have problems please let me know. Thanks! SiSoft Sandra is a synthetic benchmark and can vary between systems.

Thank you for you suggestions, and quick response. After posting this message elsewhere, I’m beginning to realize 220 may be pushing it for these sticks. However, when I see people reaching speeds upwards of 300fsb on other companies’ products, and Corsair has claims like, “We have the fastest, most reliable memory out there.” my expectations were 240 to 250 should not be a problem. I am disappointed to say the least. Performance mode was set to auto; standard and turbo results in a boot failure. As far as the SPD and timing issues, I have already reset, hard-cleared, and upgraded the BIOS more than a few times. Good suggestion, as well as the performance mode setting for this board, thanks. What do you recommend to benchmark memory, and what modules do you offer that can at least approach my expectations? I fully understand the “your mileage may vary” reality of overclocking, but I think this memory is too far off the mark for some of Corsair’s claims.

• Corsair Employees
If you were expecting 240 or 250 I would suggest our 4000 series memory. We have a speed grade for different frequencies, from 2700 to 4400. Please chose a speed grade that would be appropriate for the clock speed you wish to reach. The reccommended settings for your system would be: AI Overclock: Manual CPU Ext. Freq: 200 DDR Freq: 400 DDR Voltage: 2.7X Performance Mode: Standard DRAM Set by SPD: Disabled SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T USB Legacy: Disabled Then you can test with Memtest86 ([url]www.memtest.org[/url]). If you have errors, I have no problem replacing your memory. Please send us an email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]FORM[/URL] or you can send all of your info(full name, shipping address, phone # with area code, the module part #, quantity to be replaced, and a copy of the link to this post). Email it to [email]rma@corsairmemory.com[/email]. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Thank You!

Thank you for your continued assistance. There is no BIOS configuration that I have tried, including your suggestion above, which will get this machine to consistently boot with those memory timings. If I manually set the SDRAM CAS Latency to 2.5 – which is the setting that is chosen if “Configure DRAM Timing by SPD” is set to auto – there is no issue, it boots consistently, and is stable in memtest86. In addition to a resolution, I am also looking for possible explanations for the failure to boot at 2.0 and why in auto it chooses a 2.5.

• Corsair Employees
The SPD is programmed for 2-3-2-6 at 200 mhz. If the BIOS does not set the memory correctly it is a BIOS issue. If the memory modules do not run there rated speed I have no problem replacing them. Please send us an email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]FORM[/URL] or you can send all of your info(full name, shipping address, phone # with area code, the module part #, quantity to be replaced, and a copy of the link to this post). Email it to [email]rma@corsairmemory.com[/email]. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Thank You!

Archived