Corsair Community

Help with DDR400 512MB module

Dem0072

Hello, a long time back I purchased a 1GB pair of DDR2 memory from corsair, and I ended up giving away one of the 512MB modules, however I am now having problems with the one I have kept, as well as another 1GB module. I was wondering if it would be possible to RMA the 512MB module that I kept? Or do they have to be together in a set?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well the problem, is I'm having are BSOD errors, only since in system properties I don't have it set to display the blue screen, so it just restarts the computer instead. I've had them for quite some time now, and I originally thought maybe it was just a bad setting in the BIOS, but after changing the speeds of the memory around multiple times, I just left it at auto since that gave me the greatest system stability. Currently my memory is only reporting at 300MHz, instead of 400MHz, so that's another problem.

After doing some reading up on other forums, I discovered that BSOD's are a common result of either improperly configured memory, or faulty memory, I decided to download and run Memtest86, and there I received multiple errors. Testing each stick individually, the 1GB XMS lasts a few moments before displaying it's errors. In about a 5-10 minute timeframe, I get about 6-8 errors on the 1GB stick, and I start getting them in only seconds on the 512MB stick. Over night having them in & both combined, I got over 500 errors. I figured it was writing on the wall that it's time to replace them.

However, I would be happy to try any settings changes you can recommend, or perform anything that would save me the time & expense of shipping.

• Corsair Employees
First thing, I am sorry but you cannot mix memory with most systems and even if they were the same part number but different densities they may not work together, so what is the part number of each module, and you will need to test them each individually at their rated settings to know if you have a failing module. And for sure if you have a dual channel MB they may not perform properly in D/C.

The model number of the XMS stick is CMX1024-3200

The model number of the 1GB kit (though I only have one module of this kit) is VS1GBKIT400C3

I have independently tested the XMS stick to the best of my ability. I'm running the CAS Latency at 3-3-3-8 as the module is rated for, and the voltage I set to 2.55v during the test, however I may consider reverting that back to auto. I set the system to auto-detect the operating frequency as well, however it was running it at 300MHz, I may consider setting it to 400 in the next tests - thats where I am currently.

I'm yet to do an in-depth test on the second module, I would prefer to troubleshoot the 1GB module first.

Do you have any in-depth recommendations for settings in the bios?

Thank you in advance for patience.

• Corsair Employees
DDR1 Voltage should be 2.65 Volts and our XMS DDR1 modules would need 2.75 Volts and I would not suggest mixing these two modules as they would not be the same part. But you can try and set the memory to DDR333 at 2.75 Volts and set the timings to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and test the system with http://www.memtest.org to make sure it is stable. And the matching modules should be in slots A1 and B1 with the odd module in slot A2.

Ok. My memory for the 1GB XMS stick is running at 2.75v, my bios doesn't have a "333MHz" setting, I only have 266, 320, 400, and 533. The timings are 2.5-3-3-7-4 as you asked, however theres an additional setting called "Dram burst length", which has an option of 4 or 8, it's currently set at 4.

There are also some other mics settings which I left at auto, currently I am still receiving crashes and errors in memtest86. My XMS stick is the only one in the system, it's in A1.

• Corsair Employees
If that stick is failing, and the others do not cause any problems, then lets get the XMS module and its matched pair replaced. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Ok, my next question is, my XMS isn't 2 modules, it's 1 1GB module, and I have 1 512MB module, which used to go with another 512MB module that I gave away. Is it possible, to RMA the other 512MB module, or do I have to have the other stick that goes with it? They both need RMA'd, I know I can RMA the XMS, but the ValueSelect only has one of the 2 modules present.

Hello, I was wondering if my RMA request was still being processed to RMA a 1GB stick (CMX-1024 PC3200)?

I got an email linking me to a message saying there was some kind of confusion, just requesting a status update (please and thank you).

• Corsair Employees
Hello, I was wondering if my RMA request was still being processed to RMA a 1GB stick (CMX-1024 PC3200)?

I got an email linking me to a message saying there was some kind of confusion, just requesting a status update (please and thank you).

Can you provide a case #?

Archived