Corsair Community

What is the plastic tab?

GeForce6200

Hi all, I'm new too the forums here so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot. But I received my HX 520 and wanted to know what the plastic tab was. It hits the fan and makes a ticking noise so I just moved it back. Also does it affect the fan speed at all? My fan never seems to spin up and the air out the back is quite warm but prolly not over 40C yet. Does this seem normal. Thanks very much.

I'll post pic tomm. It is just a very thin piece of clear plastic by fan and so I pushed it back. As for the temps I got temp reader and it showed about 35celcius at hottest area for idle. At load it doesn't feel much warmer but the fan doesn't seem to spin faster. Perhaps I'm just not drawing enough power so it doesn't need to spin up. Either way should I be concerned?

• Corsair Employees
If I am understanding you correctly then the "plastic tab" is to help airflow through the PSU. The fan on the PSU is speed controlled by the loading on the unit, not necessarily the temperature. Its normal for the fan speed to be low in most cases.

The fan on the PSU is speed controlled by the loading on the unit, not necessarily the temperature.

How come?! I've read numerous times in tests, that the fan's thermocouple is attached to the hottest place in the PSU (don't remember which exactly, some element's radiator).

• Corsair Employees
Well I've made a video to show my fan speed. So here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa4nyC0PAV4

Looks normal to me, the fan really wont spin up until you have about 50% load on the unit.

Our PSUs are tested to operate at up to 50 degrees Celsius. If your system is running at over 50 degrees C inside your case then other components will begin to fail before the PSU. The PSU fan is not designed to keep your system cool, only to keep air moving through the PSU. Under normal operating conditions neither the system nor the PSU should ever reach 50 degrees C.

Archived