Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5DF 4096MB ( 2 x 2 GB )

dimmanramone

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking buying Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5DF 4096MB ( 2 x 2 GB ) and i have already in my motherboard Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5D 2048MB ( 2 x 1 GB )...Am I going to have any problems or is it better to buy just 2gigs the same pair that I bought before (Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5D 2048MB ( 2 x 1 GB ))....

If I don't have any problems with one pair of 2gigs and one pair of 4gigs how it is better to place them in my motherboard, meaning slot 1,2,3,4...

Thx in advance

Cannot anyone help me?

I read something else in the forums that made me to have one more question...is it really better to just use 2 slots of ram on the motherboard and not 4?

In that case maybe it is better to buy the 4gb pack and sell the ram that i have already on my motherboard :S

Yes it is better to have the Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5DF 4096MB (2x2GB ) filling all the slots can be tricky on most boards there are many threads that explain about why. I am looking to buy the same since four have been tough. Not hard to do but the ones you are looking at will make things much better well for me at least.

Ok, so it is better to have 1 pair of Twin2x4096-8500C5DF instead of 2 pairs of Twin2x2048-8500C5DF...but let's say that i'm keeping the one pair of Twin2x2048-8500C5DF that i have already installed and i'm adding one pair of Twin2x4096-8500C5DF so i will have 6gb of RAM but not the same pairs and in that case i don't think so that matter the revision anyway. How that it's going to work?

So, I understand that you want to add 2 2GB sticks to a system with 2 1GB sticks, for a total of 6GB?

I say give it a try, but, what MOBO do you have?

The folks on this forum (notably Ram Guy and Derek T) say that populating all four slots shouldn't work well, but I recently built a Maximus Formula MOBO and 8GB of 8500 (2 pairs of 2GB), and have no issues what so ever running at 1066, even higher when I'm inclined to OC.

These folks surely know better than I, but, regardless, it works flawlessly for me.

Scott

RAM GUY :

So it maybe works but I have to limit the memory speed to DDR667 or DDR800...

Is there any special way that I have to install the RAM then...for example the pair of Twin2x4096-8500C5DF in the first 2 slots and the pair of Twin2x2048-8500C5DF in the 3rd and 4th slot, or something like that?

HScottH:

Yes you did understand well. At first I wanted just to have 4gb of ram but then i decided to buy instead a pair of Twin2x4096-8500C5DF because was going to work better than 2 pairs of Twin2x2048-8500C5DF that I don't even know if I could find the same revision...So finally started thinking about using the pair of Twin2x2048-8500C5DF that I already have with the pair of Twin2x4096-8500C5DF that I ordered.

My motherboard is one Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5

• Corsair Employees
It is hit and miss and some MB's are better with 4 modules than others but I WOUL NOT Suggest mixing memory, HScottH had good luck most likely because he has all four modules that are exactly the same and has a top quality MB and PSU. And he is using a 1066 FSB CPU, most having trouble with 1066 Memory are trying to use a 1333 FSB CPU.

Ok...I think that i'm not even going to try it...as you are saying it is a little bit risky and propably is not going to work...so if i want to have more than 4gb RAM it is better to buy 2 pairs of Twin2x4096-8500C5DF and just sell my pair of Twin2x2048-8500C5DF...of course in that case has to be again both of the pairs same revision as I understood...

You were talking about CPU FSB, my CPU FSB is at 800 and my motherboard supports to 1066...i bought RAM with 1066 for the reason that soon i'm going to change in a 1066 CPU FSB...so actually the question that I have is, you were talking about using the ram at 800 that possiblys is going to work with 2 different pairs...I cannot use my pairs anyway at 1066 because of my CPU FSB...so there still a possibility to work?

Hi!

I would also like to buy two kits of the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF for a total of 8Gb ram for my system.

I am using the DFI LanParty UT P35-T2R motherboard and I may change to a X48 one (dfi again!) soon.

I wonder if you know (guarantee) that there are no compatibility problems with this specific match of ram and motherboard.

I would also like to know when are you going to ship to the UK, as I can not find them anywhere.

I will definitely be interested if there is a possibility to get them at lower price with the cost of making a detailed review.

If you are interested for the last part, please send me a PM to send you my profile pages at the forums I am active.

Thank you in advance,

Theodoros Ch.

It is hit and miss and some MB's are better with 4 modules than others but I WOUL NOT Suggest mixing memory, HScottH had good luck most likely because he has all four modules that are exactly the same and has a top quality MB and PSU. And he is using a 1066 FSB CPU, most having trouble with 1066 Memory are trying to use a 1333 FSB CPU.

what about mixing different versions of same ram?

what about mixing different versions of same ram?

It's always a crap shoot when one attempts this. It can work, often does not work and can be a real exercise in frustration management. If the version is a minor change ie. V1.1 / V1.2 the chances are good as the ICs are the same manufactured version. If, however, the version is a maximal change (integer) ie. V1.1 / V2.1 the chances are far less as the ICs are a different fabrication.

I wonder if you know (guarantee) that there are no compatibility problems with this specific match of ram and motherboard..

There is no guarantee when populating four DRAM slots as many of the motherboard's (Intel) and CPU's (AMD) memory controllers do not respond well when populating four DRAM banks. Often one needs to lower the DRAM speed to meet the lowered abilities of the memory controller. It is also advised to raise the voltage to the Memory Controller +.2v. This issue is with both Nvidia and Intel chipset boards for both AMD processors and Intel processors. The issue is not the DRAM, the issue is the motherboard (Intel) or CPU (AMD) memory controller's issues running with four DRAM slots populated.

There is no guarantee when populating four DRAM slots as many of the motherboard's (Intel) and CPU's (AMD) memory controllers do not respond well when populating four DRAM banks. Often one needs to lower the DRAM speed to meet the lowered abilities of the memory controller. It is also advised to raise the voltage to the Memory Controller +.2v. This issue is with both Nvidia and Intel chipset boards for both AMD processors and Intel processors. The issue is not the DRAM, the issue is the motherboard (Intel) or CPU (AMD) memory controller's issues running with four DRAM slots populated.

let me rephrase my question

only one kit (2x2), is it going to work 100% with my motherboard?

I now run 4x1gb@1080 and i have reached maximum stable @1140 with vdimm 2.19 and NB only 2-3 clicks above minimum (1.41 i think).

my only problem is, if this kit works with no issues with my motherboard.

what about my other question?

do you believe that there is a chance of such an offer, or should i forget it?

Thank you,

Theodoros Ch.

I do not find your motherboard in the Corsair Labs testing documentation. This does not mean that your board will not work with the (Single KIT) of TWIN2X4096-8500C5, just that it has not been tested with that board.

With regards to your other question, you may wish to contact Corsair Sales Directly @ 1-888-222-4346.

Archived