Corsair Community

667 MHz or 800 MHz when using 4 Gb of 6400C4D

GerryPers

I just added 2 Gb of 6400C4DHX to my system for a total of 4 Gb filling all slots on the MB (P5N32-E SLI (1002)). I had 2 Gb of 6400C4D before.

Following your recommendations in this forum I lowered the speed from 800 to 667 and set the timings to Auto. (I left the voltage at 2.1)

It didn't work. The computer hangs.

I then put the speed back to 800 and it seems to work fine now.

Here are the current timings (as reported by CPU-Z):

CAS# Latency: 5.0 clocks

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 clocks

RAS# Precharge: 5 clocks

Cycle Time (TRas): 18 clocks

Bank Cycle Time (Trc): 22 clocks

Command Rate: 2T

Can I keep the speed at 800 and these timings as they are?

If not, please tell me exactly what settings I should change.

Thanks!

With a four DRAM slot population I would lower the frequency of the DRAM as the on motherboard memory controller (MCH/Northbridge) can often bring issues of instability and controller/slot damage in the longer term. Sometimes even right away these issues can occur.

Your timings are fine. Set your DRAM speed from 800Mhz to 667Mhz and your MCH Voltage to 1.4v.

Configure System Frequency/Voltage

AI Overclocking : "Manual"

CPU Frequency: 200

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-667

Performance Mode set to: Auto

PCI Express Frequency, set to: 100

PCI Clock Synch Mode, set to: 33.33MHZ

Memory Voltage: 2.1v

CPU Voltage Core: Auto

FSB Voltage : Auto

MCH Chispet Voltage: 1.55v

ICH Chipset Voltage: Auto

Advanced CPU settings:

Microcode: Enabled

Max CPUID: Enabled

Execute Disabled Function: Enabled

Enahanced C1 Control: Enabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Enabled

Advanced Shipset Settings

Configure Dram Timings By SPD: Disabled

CAS# Latency: 4

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4

RAS# Precharge: 4

RAS# Activate to Precharge: 14

DRAM ECC Mode: Disabled

Hyper Path 3: Enabled

DRAM Throttling Threshold: Auto

Boot Graphics Adapter Priority: PCI-Express/PCI

I decreased the speed like before and changed the NB Voltage from Auto to 1.4, which I didn't do the first time.

It didn't help. The computer hangs when I change the speed from 800 to 667.

Some of the timings change when I lower the speed to 667. I don't know if that matters?

The timings (when they are set to Auto in BIOS):

At 800/667 MHz:

CPU-Z:

5/5

5/5

5/5

18/15

22/19 (Bank Cycle Time)

Command Rate: 2T/1T

What should I do?

I changed the settings you recommended.

The computer still hangs.

It seems I have no other choice but to remove the 2 gigs I just added?

Not if the speed has to be set at 667 MHz.

What if I leave it at 800? Can the RAM get physically damaged and even the motherboard? How big is the risk of that happening?

What if I leave it at 800? Can the RAM get physically damaged and even the motherboard? How big is the risk of that happening?

If you do not increase DRAM voltages beyond 2.1V, then any issue will likely be with the Memory Controller Hub and not the DRAM. Set to 800Mhz but do increase the MCP to 1.45v. This should forestall any issues.

The Memory Controller Hub is on the Northbridge, ie the motherboard?

So, there is a risk that the motherboard can get physical damage then?

How big is that risk, minimal, small, medium, large?

I changed the NB voltage to 1.45 in BIOS. I then looked at Asus PC Probe which showed it at 1.49 in red! I changed it to 1.4 in BIOS and PC Probe showed it at 1.45 (non red). I presume that is ok?

Yes should be fine as long as it is stable.

I presume you mean that the 1.45 volt setting is fine RAM GUY?

It would be great if I could get your input on the 800 MHz setting as well.

Is that also fine (to keep it at 800 MHz) or do you have any recommendations on what I should do?

Yes, it seems I have no other choice than to go for it, other than removing my newly added sticks...

Not unless someone can come up with another solution to get the memory to work at 667 MHz.

Can a BIOS update help? I would normally update the BIOS without blinking, but, for some reason, it seems Asus is only releasing beta drivers for my MB nowadays, so I'm a little hesitant to do that.

Can the fact that I'm running XP 32 bit be relevant?

I know that you can't utilize all 4 gigs when you have a 32 bit OS, but can that be the reason why the 667 MHz setting doesn't work?

Maybe that's why 800 MHz (seems to) work fine with 4 gig, i.e. because the OS can't use all 4 gigs? Am I in for a big surprize when I change to a 64 bit OS?

Anyway, what's to best way to really test if the 800 MHz setting (which I'll keep for now) will be stable? Is it to run Prime95?

You are worrying too much. If you keep your voltages to stated values, then you are not going to harm your system.

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

and boot to the Memtest CD allowing for two full passes. This is the standard for testing DRAM. Prime95 is the standard for testing the CPU stability.

"worrying too much"?

"With a four DRAM slot population I would lower the frequency of the DRAM as the on motherboard memory controller (MCH/Northbridge) can often bring issues of instability and controller/slot damage in the longer term. Sometimes even right away these issues can occur"

I think that sounds pretty scary...

But thanks for trying to cccccalm me down :biggrin:

"worrying too much"?

"With a four DRAM slot population I would lower the frequency of the DRAM as the on motherboard memory controller (MCH/Northbridge) can often bring issues of instability and controller/slot damage in the longer term. Sometimes even right away these issues can occur"

I think that sounds pretty scary...

But thanks for trying to cccccalm me down :biggrin:

LOL

You have an Nvidia chipset and it does not want to work with a lower DRAM speed. And my statement contains some definitive terms, being: "Can" not will, Sometimes not always. So, you have three choices.

1. Run at the full speed.

2. Remove two sticks

3. Remove four sticks of 1024 to replace with two sticks of 2048

If it was me? I would choose door # 3. Have you memtested your system?

"You have an Nvidia chipset and it does not want to work with a lower DRAM speed"

Do you know that from other sources or do you conclude that from my experiences?

I ran memtest for 2 passes without errors.

RAM GUY, do you mean that I should update the BIOS in the hope that the new version allows me to run at 667, or that I should update even if I run at 800?

If it's not necesssary, I'd rather wait with a BIOS update until Asus realeases a non beta version.

Regarding a new mb:

Since the system seems to work fine now I might as well wait until the current one crasches and then buy a new one, wouldn't you agree?

Another question:

I've seen that you can put small fans on the RAM modules if the get to hot.

How do you know if it gets to hot? You can't measure the RAM temperature, can you? My MB temperature seems to have increased 2 degrees since I added the additional RAM, is that normal?

Thanks!

Just set the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/SPP Voltage to 1.45 Volts and you should be good to go.

Maybe you meant to say: "...set the memory frequency at DDR800..." ? *

As I have said a few times in this thread, I can't get 667 to work (at least not with the settings recommended in this thread).

800 MHz seems to work fine.

*You said erlier in this thread: "[...] if the system is stable at 800 MHz then by all means go for it. you will not hurt the memory unless you go over 2.1 Volts"

"You have an Nvidia chipset and it does not want to work with a lower DRAM speed"

Do you know that from other sources or do you conclude that from my experiences?

Nvidia chipsets are strange beasties. I conclude that YOUR board will not allow YOU to drop DRAM speed. I have worked with many 650/680/780 Nvidia chipsets and have never seen the characteristic that you speak of. I wonder that if you installed 667Mhz DRAM, would the system fail to respond? I have created many systems as I am in the industry. Never have I seen a failure to respond in such a way in these new modern platforms.

Since I have never seen it before, I have only your word that this is happening. Personally, I would need to see such a board and then apply some trouble-shooting via testbed to understand such characteristics.

Archived