Corsair Community

Nautilus 500 hotter than my old air cool

hawgjaw

It was time to make the jump to water cooled. After some research, I decided on the Nautilus 500. I didn't plan on doing a full setup, just the cpu. I have a qx6850 with a Thermalright ultima-90 that kept the temp at 40, 50 under load. I was hoping the water cooled system would bring me to idle at around 35. I installed the Nautilus, pump works fine, no leaks, no air bubbles. Now my cpu temp is 46 idle, 60 load. My MB is a P5E WS Pro. I took off the stock cpu block and attached a Zalman WB5. No difference. Everything works fine. Am I not accepting the fact that the Ultima-90 did a better job than the Nautilus 500. Please don't respond saying check the thermalpaste, I've worked around processors enough to know my thermalpaste level is fine. Any suggestions?

WB5 installed correctly, all input/output installed correctly.

rad fan speed first on low, then high, no difference in temps according to Everest and ASUS Probe II.

Also, no difference in temp from stock CPU Block and Zalman.

I have noticed a difference in my MB temp though, my MB temp has gone down to a steady 36 from around 44 with the aircool. Is it possible that the MB temp and the CPU temps are switched somehow?

I don't know if this helps but my core temps are as follows:

Core #1 37

Core #2 37

Core #3 36

Core #4 40

All at idle

core voltage is set at 1.12v, the coolant I used was about 3/4, 1/4 distilled. Don't get me wrong, The temps are within specs, there just isn't a lot of room to play around. I just feel it's kind of a waste of money and enegy, not to mention the horror stories you read if a seal leaks. I almost always have 2-3 applications processing at the same time, my temp is always at around 60 at load. Not a lot of room to breath with. Do you have any suggestions Boogieman, even if I could drop it 5 degrees would give me some satisfation that I at least made an improvement.

Have you taken the fan screen guard off to allow more air flow without extra pressure on the fan?

Over at Legit Reviews, there are plenty of mods for the N500 in the forums under liquid-cooling. You may take a peek over there for some insight. :sunglasse

• 4 weeks later...
does the nat 500 have 3/4in tubing or 3/8 tubing because i would like to get a quick disconnect for it for the back of my pc this way i can just disconnect the tubing and move my pc around instead of having to move everything also does anyone know were to get a quick disconnect for the back of a pc koolance has one but it's for 3/8in tubing and it would go in a open slot on back of pc..

Archived