I am currently planning new system with P5E3 Premium

new X48 board

With Probably Intel 9650 as cpu

Will install 2 sims for total of 4 gig

I am much more interested in stability than maximum overclock

Just don't want problems

But as speedy as I can get without headaches

What set do you recommend

With the prices of DDR3 and the minimal differential in performance, I would rethink your planning to include a DDR2 based platform such as the ASUS Rampage Formula. Add to this a set of TWIN2X-4096-8500C5DHX DDR2 DRAM modules and a QX9650 with a good aftermarket CPU cooler such as the Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120, and you will have an easy 3.6Ghz fully stable system. You will save quite a bit of money and the differential in performance will be minimal at best. In another year or two, [when the latencies of DDR3 drop, the motherboard platforms for DDR3 mature (stability issues abound atm) and the prices of the DDR3 reach a price/performance level so that you are not paying for R&D :p:] there will be a reason to purchase the hardware. When the Intel Nehalem is released and DDR3 is very fast and tight there will be a hardware marry. Nehalem will have a fully Core shared caching subsystem. All cores will be able to pull from the single shared cache. As of now, in an Intel Quad Core system only Core 1 & 2 or Core 3 & 4 can share their data. If Core 1 & 2 need cached data that is in Core 3 & 4's cache, the request must be made to the memory controller, and picked up from the drive. This happens more often that you might think and with DDR3 latencies being so high, well it's just not worth it in my view.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ1NywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

My two cents at any rate...

Can you suggest another Asus board

preferably with the audio integrated instead of on a riser board

Also I am going to use this with XP 32 bit

I know I am not going to see 4 gig only 3

but will this affect my stability

Thanks

Can you suggest another Asus board, preferably with the audio integrated instead of on a riser board. Also I am going to use this with XP 32 bit, I know I am not going to see 4 gig only 3, but will this affect my stability?

I like the P5K-E and P5K-Deluxe. They are fine boards and have stood the test of time. ASUS has more Board Design Engineers and BIOS programmers than any other board manufacturing company.

Running with 4GB on a 32bit OS will not effect your stability. However, I advise 1 X 2048 rather than 4 X 1024 so as to forestall any DRAM board slot population issues. You will be able to run the DRAM at the full speed with two sticks rather than lower the speed to maintain board compatibility when populating with four DRAM slots.

With a Quad Core, I would look at the use for overclocking and choose the Twin2X4096-8500C4DHX models. Many of the 45nm Quad Core Yorkfield's do not like greater than 400Mhz on the FSB. 400 X 9 = 3.6Ghz. You can run 6400Mhz DRAM with this setup at 400 X 9 ~=3.6Ghz with 400/800 for the divider and 4-4-4-12 timings. Or you can try with Twin2X4096-8500C5's for 425 X 9 ~= 3.825GHz with 333/1066 for the divider. Very likely you can make 5-4-4-12 timings with this setup, not guaranteed timings but likely.

I would also look at the Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120 CPU cooler.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2943

Nehalem

2snehalemCORES.jpg.ecbcdbd145933c0eec2dffc073e090ef.jpg

In your message you refer to

With a Quad Core, I would look at the use for overclocking and choose the Twin2X4096-8500C4DHX models. Many of the 45nm Quad Core Yorkfield's do not like greater than 400Mhz on the FSB. 400 X 9 = 3.6Ghz. You can run 6400Mhz DRAM with this setup at 400 X 9 ~=3.6Ghz with 400/800 for the divider and 4-4-4-12 timings. Or you can try with Twin2X4096-8500C5's for 425 X 9 ~= 3.825GHz with 333/1066 for the divider. Very likely you can make 5-4-4-12 timings with this setup, not guaranteed timings but likely.

Am I correct that you misstyped and meant

TWIN2X40966400C4DHX

Thanks

Please also Can you suggest a good case that would support the Ultra 120

It is rather enormous which is ok as long as the case fits it and provides

a good amount of space for components and cooling

Archived