Corsair Community

Terrifying pop and bright flash when doing PSU test.

DrewXJ

I just received my HX620 PSU today and when I got home I figured I would try the Brief PSU test.

Well I make the connection as shown with two antec tri-cool fans plugged in set to low. The fans whir and spin up. Yay right?

So I switch one fan to high to hear the difference. There is a loud pop and bright flash. I immediately hit the power button. Crap.

I figure i have nothing to lose and I set the fan back to low and turn the power supply back on. the fans spin up. I set the fan to medium. All is well. I set the fan to high. All is well. I set both fans to High all is well.

Now I haven't tried setting up a PC or anything with the PSU, but I'm a little concerned because I'm not quite sure what happened. I would think after a pop and a flash like that it would be dead but it seems fine. I don't have a multimeter handy or anything to test it otherwise right now.

Any thoughts?

Loose connection between fan and PSU on the molex connector?

I don't think so. They all look secure. I'm pretty sure the flash came from the power supply or the 20 pin area. It happened so fast and I was in such a hurry to unplug the thing the details are a little fuzzy.

I test moving the fans to another rail to see if I blew one of them (if that's possible?) and it worked OK on the second rail as well.

I think corsair uses virtual rails, meaning same inside so dont think you could blow one rail. Im sure corsair will comment on that (as only they know really). I dont know what happened. But Im sure johhnyguru would know. Check his site and ask.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Or... you could search this forum :) It's been commented on multiple times by Ram Guy and Power Guy.

Yes, I have read that they are virtually one rail, but thought maybe that before they connect into that something happened there. I guess this isn't how they work.

The main thing I wanted to do was see if there was a way to test the unit with a multimeter or some other way with common tools. I have a new system on the way next week and wasn't thrilled about the idea of RMAing the power supply and waiting. But I would rather not fry my new system either.

I'm guessing I won't hear from Ramguy or another Corsair employee until at least Monday correct?

• Corsair Employees
Loose connection between fan and PSU on the molex connector?

This is what it sounds like to me, either that or the molex connector was plugged in backwards, but that probably would have fried the fan. If you have a multimeter or a PSU tester you can measure the rails and make sure they are within spec. And yes the HX series have one physical 12v rail. The only way to know for sure would be to test the PSU in a system, however if you like, we would have no problem replacing it for you. It really sounds like there was just a bad connection to the fan. Take a look at the pins on both the fan, and the molex connector and see if there is anything that doesn't look right (bent/missing pins, etc.).

This is what it sounds like to me, either that or the molex connector was plugged in backwards, but that probably would have fried the fan. If you have a multimeter or a PSU tester you can measure the rails and make sure they are within spec. And yes the HX series have one physical 12v rail. The only way to know for sure would be to test the PSU in a system, however if you like, we would have no problem replacing it for you. It really sounds like there was just a bad connection to the fan. Take a look at the pins on both the fan, and the molex connector and see if there is anything that doesn't look right (bent/missing pins, etc.).

I never changed how the fans were connected just insured that the connection was secure and it did look fine. I'm 90% sure the flash and pop came from the power supply, but it is possible it came from the paper clip/20 pin area they were close to each other at the time. I didn't see any smoke or anything when the pop happened. The fans appear to be working fine now so I'm not sure what changed.

My concern was just making sure that the power supply would not damage any new components I added. Can you tell me specifically how I would go about testing the PSU with a multimeter to make sure things are within spec?

Thanks.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the help guys. Well I tested the 20 pin and all the voltages seem to match up fine. I also tested molexes on both virtual rails for kicks. Everything appears to be fine though it isn't under much load. So everything should be fine right?

I know there is no load but this thing is crazy quiet. I can't hear it even if I put my ear to it. I am planning on putting 300-380 watts or so on it at load so we will see how much louder it gets when it ramps up. I was eyeing the TX750 to give me a little more breathing room for the future but with the p182 I really wanted to make sure I had modular cables and HX1000 is just too long.

Archived