Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF and Asus P5N-T Deluxe

focher

Hi,

I seem to have made some false assumptions based on insufficient research about moving from 2 to 4 memory modules. I have 2 kits of the TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF and have put them in an Asus P5N-T Deluxe motherboard (BIOS 1001) with an Intel QX9650 CPU (and 3 8800GTX boards for tri-SLI but that's neither here nor there).

Even with only 2 modules in the board, I cannot get a stable system above the default 800 MHz setting, so I wanted to get some clarifications and advice.

1) The BIOS has 2.390V and a 2.410V settings but the memory max is 2.40V - should I take the lower or higher value? Will this have an impact on which speed I can use?

2) If you enable the "SLI Memory" option with a setting of CPU0% or Expert, the EPP values seem to be used which try to set at 1250 MHz - a value that guarantees a lockup. If I manually set the memory to Unlinked or Linked with a ratio that puts it at 1200 MHz or 1066 MHz, I still get lockups. What other values do I need to get either of those speeds?

3) Many of the tips suggest turning off the USB Legacy Support option in the BIOS. Why?

4) I am completely uneducated about the various latency timing settings etc so haven't really tried to change those from Auto. Besides my own task of getting up to speed on what those values mean, can someone recommend specific settings for me to try?

Also just to remove it as an issue, I am using two separate 1KW PSUs to power my system (I have enough bad experiences where I am fighting power issues and wanted to avoid it this time around. The first PSU is powering everything but two of the 8800GTX boards. This is the PC Power and Cooling 1KW PSU. The second CPU is powering the remaining two 8800GTX boards (it's an Antec 1KW if that matters). I also have a meter on the plug and can see if my power usage spikes, but it doesn't peak over 550 on the first PSU so I really doubt power is an issue.

Please research these threads:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=68089

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Advanced

JumperFree Configuration

AI Tuning = Manual

Overclock Options = Disabled

System Clocks

NB PCI-e Frequency (MHz) = 100

Extreme Tweaker

LDT Frequency = 5x

AI Tuning = Manual

FSB & Memory Config

FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked

FSB (QDR) MHz = 333

MEM (DDR) MHz = 1066

Over Voltage

Memory Voltage = 2.39v

NB CHIP Voltage = 1.25v

NB BR04 Voltage = 1.2v

1.2V HT Voltage = 1.2v

Chipset

Memory Timing Setting

tCL = 5

tRCD = 5

tRP = 5

tRAS = 15

Command Per Clock = 2 Clocks

tRRD = Auto

tRC = 32

tWR = Auto

tWTR = Auto

tREF = Auto

tRD = Auto

tRFC = 62

Async Latency = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Auto

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Auto

SATA Spread Spectrum = Auto

LDT Spread Spectrum = Auto

LDT Frequency = 5x

Boot to the Memtest CD allowing for two full passes.

Results?

Thank you very much for the tips. Some questions as the some of the recommended values are not available.

FSB & Memory Config

FSB (QDR) MHz = 333

Are you sure about this one? The default is 1333 and putting a value of 333 retypes it as 1333 anyway, but I figured that I would just confirm.

System Clocks

NB PCI-e Frequency (MHz) = 100

Perhaps you mean either the PCIEX16_2 Frequency (MHz) or PCIEx16_1 3 Frequency (MHz) settings? Both are set to 100 anyway.

Over Voltage

NB CHIP Voltage = 1.25v

Only 1.24V and 1.26V are available. Should I go higher or lower? I have used 1.24V for my test.

Memory Timing Setting

tRC = 32

31 is the highest value. I have used that.

I have run memtest and get a failure at 1316.7MB location. Could that be correctable by adjusting the timing or voltage?

• Corsair Employees
FSB & Memory Config

FSB (QDR) MHz = 333

If you look that reference was for DDR3 I believe in your case you would set the memory frequency at DDR1066 and you would have to over clock the CPU to get close to the rated speed, but I suspect it will top out before you get there.

Oops. I just realised that I wrote 2X2048 instead of the 2X1024s that I have. I didn't want to edit the original post because it probably affects the recommended settings. The exact parts are CM2X1024-10000C5D.

I have two pairs, but one pair is already RMA'd because the heatsink came off one module (with a chip attached).

Anyway, I also noticed that I had mixed the pairs up. The one good pair tested fine with the default values. Now I will go back to DerekT's recommended settings and try the enhanced values.

Just an update. When taking the recommended settings from DerekT and using the matched pair (instead of the mix that I had incidentally installed) I did not receive any memory errors from memtest. So I have reinstalled Vista 64 and am updating everything as I type this (on my Mac...)

The only remaining problem I have detected so far is that the NVIDIA 3-way SLI drivers still seem to lock up and Vista gives a "driver stopped responding but was successfully reset" message. I don't think that is at all memory related though and I don't seem to get the error when I turn SLI off.

Thanks again for the settings.

Archived