Corsair Community

RMA Problem

Link

Ok I got 2 pack Corsair Dominator XMS2 TWIN2X2048-8500C5D =4G with my Striker Exterme Dec 06 when I build my new system, everything run great OC well and will do 1066mhz stable like a rock (5-5-5-15 2T 2.1v). A few week ago my system won't boot so i test every stick by them self found one of the stick is dead. RMA it to Corsair when I get my replacement twin pack same model number everything but got a G exp(8500C5 G) its Ver4.2 and its not XMS2. Well anyway I pop all 4 stick in it turn on lock up at post. Reset cmos got it to boot go to bio change the volt to 2.1, 5-5-5-15 2T and ram speed at 1066mhz like what I got with my last 4 set. Reboot same thing lock up. I pull my out set everything to auto but leave speed at 1066mhz reboot...lock up again, I than leave everything in auto and drop the speed down by 20mhz at a time got down to 800-820mzh highest speed that will boot and it seem to run at that stable won't go pass 820mzh even with 2.1v 5-5-5-15 2T or 1T or any other lactacy setting. I put my in I can run 2.1v/2.2v 5-5-5-15 2T at 1066-1120mhz. No problem and stable. What is the different betweeen the XMS Series and the none XMS2 from what I know the XMS Series can OC better and cost more too. So how can i fix this I pay $280USD for XMS2 1066mhz and what they send me can't even get pass 820mhz with out crash or vista having hardward failer and reboot.:confused:

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/LinkJenovaa/?action=view&current=sidebyside.jpg

Ok the 2 pack set (2G on each pack) that i have are XMS2 PC8500. 1 stick die so i have to sent that set back. The replacement set they sent me are PC8500 but not XMS2. As you can see on that picture link. SO now NO ONLY MY OLD PAIR ARE XMS2 the new one are not :confused:

It is not advisable to run at full speed with four DRAM slots populated. I advise you to drop down to 800Mhz if you want to populate all four DRAM slots. It is advised to run four DRAM banks at the lesser speed, as by doubling the slots, you have increased the workload on the motherboards memory controller. It can not keep up to the full speed of a two DRAM slot population when you populate with four DRAM slots. Often there are long term issues that arise and which damage the motherboards memory controller as well as the DRAM if you try and run it with a four DRAM slot configuration at the full speed of a two DRAM slot configuration.

I don't care what the packaging says. Each type of DDR is PHYSICALLY incompatible with each other and the appropriate slots. So if you did indeed pop all 4 sticks into your motherboard, they're all DDR2, XMS2.

OK before we get to the 4 stick...someone tell me why the two that i got from the RMA with out XMS2 won't even get pass 820mhz by them self. My old one that has XMS2 on it will do 1066mhz and can OC to 1120mhz with no problem by them self. I'm running the lastest bio 1503:confused:

Archived