Corsair Community

what mem for E8500 and Asus Striker 2 Extreme

Looking at building my new system and i am excited to put together an E8500 with the new nforce 790I board from ASUS - the striker 2 extreme

What DDR3 modules should i be looking at? looking at playing around with overclocking....but prob not to the extreme.

Have vista ultimate 64bit so wanna go with 4GB - should i go with 2 sticks of 2GB or 2 sets of 2GB?

TIA

The memory depends on how far you wish to overclock this Dual Core CPU. It has a 9.5X multiplier. If you purchase a good CPU cooler such as the Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120, or the Tuniq Tower, you should be able to do:

9.5 X 450 = 4.2Ghz and 1800Mhz on the DRAM

9.5 X 400 = 3.8Ghz and 1600Mhz on the DRAM

or remove the .5 multiplier and run with

9 X 450 = 4.05Ghz and 1800Mhz on the DRAM

9 X 400 = 3.6Ghz and 1600Mhz on the DRAM

or leave it stock and run with 9.5 X 333 = ~3.163Ghz and 1333Mh DRAM

2 sticks of 2GB is far more preferable than 4 sticks of 1GB. Your overclock will very likely suffer with 4 X 1024.

Cool...thanks for the info.

I have a 3.0 watercooled now.....so considering just stickin with the watercooling setup and should allow me be able to hit the tops....theoretically at least :)

do you think its worth it for the "nvidia" partnership memory??

is it a worthwhile bang for the buck?

Please enter Here and document your system hardware.

Cool...thanks for the info.

I have a 3.0 watercooled now.....so considering just stickin with the watercooling setup and should allow me be able to hit the tops....theoretically at least :)

do you think its worth it for the "nvidia" partnership memory??

is it a worthwhile bang for the buck?

Do you mean SLi Memory? This is just a method to create a more plug and play with the Memory and the system. It's not necessary and often is more problematic with motherboards than without. As well, there are quite a few water cooling systems that are not all that efficient. What are the components in your loop? Processor? Overclocked? Idle and load temps?

Thanks for the help DerekT

looks like the asus motherboard finally showed up in stores :biggrin: .....still cant find an E8500 anywhere and the SLI memory from corsair is equally absent??? :(:

was looking through the corsair site...and i noticed that for the nvidia sli partner memory it is only being offered at 2GB not 4GB?? any ideas??

I am gonna post that particular question in the main corsair forums so maybe ramguy can answer it.

Thanks for the help DerekT

looks like the asus motherboard finally showed up in stores :biggrin: .....still cant find an E8500 anywhere and the SLI memory from corsair is equally absent??? :(:

was looking through the corsair site...and i noticed that for the nvidia sli partner memory it is only being offered at 2GB not 4GB?? any ideas??

I am gonna post that particular question in the main corsair forums so maybe ramguy can answer it.

If you can find the Xeon E3110 you will be happy with it. The X3on E3110 is the same as the E8400, with a 9X multiplier. I am at 1.33v in BIOS and idle is 38C, load is 57C at 4.05Ghz and I know this chip can go higher.

Regarding SLi memory. I never use the SLi feature as I manually set in BIOS so it's never been a characteristic I have been concerned with when I build them. I do not use Nvidia chipsets for my own personal systems. They are just far too quirky for my taste. Returns are greater than with Intel chipsets and the memory overclock on Intel chipsets is better as well, so I have never seen the need to go with Nvidia. I leave them to their abilities in graphics cards.

Archived